PDA

View Full Version : Local Nottingham Knowledge Required Please

Elley
02-08-2008, 5:33 PM
Hi,

On approaching Nottingham Railway station arriving from London, looking to the right there is an old large building gradually rotting away. It appears that maybe it was an old mill considering its age?

I am not researching in Nottinghamshire but do wonder what history this building holds every time I pass by on my travels.

Can anyone can satisfy my curiosity?

Thank-you,

Elley:)

SearchingSadler
02-08-2008, 6:29 PM
I'll ask my dad tomorrow, hard to tell which area though.

I can remember once coming back on the train from Birmingham, guess thats the other direction, but I thought to myself then, what a state the buildings were in along the train lines.

Theres tons of lace factorys/mills etc.

How far from the station were you? Was it recently?

There was a massive factory over by the train station thats been revamped a while back. Think it was something to do with waterways

Neil Wilson
02-08-2008, 6:38 PM
Could it possibly be the Malt Houses near the Victoria Hotel in Beeston? That is the only one I can think off.

Elley
02-08-2008, 6:44 PM
Hi SearchingSadler,

Thank-you for replying.

This building is quite near the station, about a mile or so away? My OH thinks that it looks as though there may be scaffolding on the inside.

We saw it again yesterday, everytime we have visited Nottingham and passed
by I have meant to ask someone about its history when I was back home, this time I actually remembered|biggrin|

I expect it would cost too much to revovate?

Regards,

Elley

MarkJ
02-08-2008, 6:45 PM
There was a massive factory over by the train station thats been revamped a while back. Think it was something to do with waterways

Wasn't that one of the Boots Company buildings? If it is the one I am thinking of, if you cut down onto the canal and walked under the bridge, it was on a corner of the canal there. But it is a long time since I wandered around Nottingham...

Mark

Elley
02-08-2008, 6:54 PM
Hi Neil,

I am sorry I am a stranger to the area but have been trying to follow the train line on a map and could not see Beeston near the station:confused:

Thanks for your input.

Kind Regards,

Elley

Neil Wilson
02-08-2008, 7:14 PM
Hi Neil,

I am sorry I am a stranger to the area but have been trying to follow the train line on a map and could not see Beeston near the station:confused:

Thanks for your input.

Kind Regards,

ElleyBeeston is about 4 miles west of Nottingham on the line up from Leicester which I assume your train is on. Also, the Maltings is on the left |doh|
On the right is Siemens, then Boots, then the scrap yards until you get to the King's Meadows Road units which could be the one you are referring to. After that on the Left is a place MarkJ will know - HM Inspector of Taxes buildings |biggrin|

MarkJ
02-08-2008, 7:48 PM
Shhh Neil - I don't want people hating me ;)

Mark :D

SearchingSadler
03-08-2008, 12:30 PM
aaah, the tax officer, better known as the Dalek lolol

Elley
04-08-2008, 2:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am sorry I think I unintentionally misled you|blush| my apologies. We meet someone else at Grantham who travels to us via Peterborough and we then travel together to Nottingham. We Pass through Bingham, Netherfield etc.

I have only lived in this area for three years, so still learning!

Thanks again for your replies.

Elley

Neil Wilson
04-08-2008, 3:30 PM
Know where you mean, believed it to be something to do with the old Central Railway. Might have been a malt house. When I go out for a walk next I will have a look, only a couple of minutes away.

Elley
04-08-2008, 6:36 PM
That is kind offer to do that Neil when it is just my curiosity getting the better of me. No urgency at all. Thank-you.

Elley

SearchingSadler
05-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Neil, its not the building near the old railway is it? Down London Road. Haven't they built a gym in it, or next to it? Opposite a erm, bar, Hooters, not that I'd ever go near a place like that!

Neil Wilson
05-08-2008, 10:12 PM
It's the one from Manvers Street that runs on the old Sneinton Hermitage road. It's just the shell that is left standing. You can see it from the City Link Road, thats the private road that leads to the Walk In Centre/BBC.
Enough clues?? :D

Neil Wilson
07-08-2008, 4:16 PM
Latest on the buildings.
One appears to have been a bonded store, for either tabacco or grain. Next to it, well connected, on the other side from the railway are arches which I assume would have been loading bays unless someone can correct me. I have only been in this area a few years so I don't know the history.
Cheers

Elley
08-08-2008, 6:01 AM
Hi Neil,

Thank-you so much for walking round for me, I do appreciate it. Being as it has never been demolished and is in drastic need of attention I wonder how long it will remain?

Thanks again for your time and trouble.

Kind Regards,

Elley

Neil Wilson
08-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi Neil,

Thank-you so much for walking round for me, I do appreciate it. Being as it has never been demolished and is in drastic need of attention I wonder how long it will remain?

Thanks again for your time and trouble.

Kind Regards,

Elley
Knowing Nottingham, I will put money on it being fixed up and made into apartments. That whole area is being redeveloped, that had a grand opening about 2 years ago with fireworks and then nothing.

MarkJ
08-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Ah - Nottingham developments are something to behold at times! The redevelopment of Basford, near the railway crossing, where they put up the concrete flats and then knocked them all down a few years later.

Mark

Diane Grant-Salmon
08-08-2008, 3:58 PM
Ah - Nottingham developments are something to behold at times!
Mark

Everytime I go down Mapperley Plains Road to see my Dentist, another BIG house has been demolished and about 8 houses and one block of flats have been built in the space!

We lived there for eight years and we came to this conclusion:

1. If there's a smidgeon of space - build something on it.
2. Prune all trees to within an inch of the trunk.

I nearly dropped with shock when I saw the area where we live now ....... big trees everywhere, on grass verges at the side of practically every road, plus in gardens ...... not forgetting very posh roundabouts, all filled with flowers and sculptures (done in plants!) :)

MarkJ
08-08-2008, 5:15 PM
I lived off Mapperley Plains for a couple of years in one of the houses built off Lambley Lane.
I can remember my little terrier escaping one night when it was snowing hard and he was running up and down the main Mapperley Plains road between the snow ploughs! All you could see what a little black object bouncing over the snow drifts! Luckily he was not injured - but he was very keen at escaping :(

Mark

Neil Wilson
08-08-2008, 5:19 PM
I lived off Mapperley Plains for a couple of years in one of the houses built off Lambley Lane.
I can remember my little terrier escaping one night when it was snowing hard and he was running up and down the main Mapperley Plains road between the snow ploughs! All you could see what a little black object bouncing over the snow drifts! Luckily he was not injured - but he was very keen at escaping :(

MarkThere your are Diane, the reason it went downhill :D

SearchingSadler
08-08-2008, 9:16 PM
I'm not too far from Mapperley Plains ;) Carlton/Gedling border. In fact I go to Lambley Lane twice a week with my son for football training.

I'm still unsure of which building it is you went to see.

My dad knows a lot about Nottingham and buildings, and he just goes nuts when they knock down some beautiful old building and stick a block of 'lego' flats up

MarkJ
08-08-2008, 9:46 PM
Which reminds me of my late father in laws regular "joke" -

Do you like Gedling?
I don't know, I've never Geddled...

Mark

Diane Grant-Salmon
09-08-2008, 5:21 AM
In fact I go to Lambley Lane twice a week with my son for football training.

We went every month to see what *Floralands* had to offer in the way of plants!

We still go every so often when we visit our daughter in East Bridgford. :)

SearchingSadler
09-08-2008, 11:47 AM
lol, geddled, technically I'm Carlton. I live off Westdale Lane, one side of the road is posh and classed as Gedling, the other side is Carlton ;)

but then I was born in Hyson Green, so anywhere else is better ;)

Neil Wilson
09-08-2008, 5:40 PM
I'm not too far from Mapperley Plains ;) Carlton/Gedling border. In fact I go to Lambley Lane twice a week with my son for football training.

I'm still unsure of which building it is you went to see.

My dad knows a lot about Nottingham and buildings, and he just goes nuts when they knock down some beautiful old building and stick a block of 'lego' flats up
The buildings are the one behind Heart FM radio, on the left of the City Lnik road looking toward the Walk-in Centre. The building next to them is the old Central Railway Station which is now the Virgin Health & Fitness Club.

SearchingSadler
09-08-2008, 9:23 PM
aaah, think I know which one you mean now. It was called the Great Northern Warehouse. (two bodies were found there a couple of years back).

Goods were loaded from the railway tracks on one side and onto wagons on the other. Used by the Great Northern railway, not midland.

I think it was built in 1857 as a corn warehouse.

From what I've found out, plans have been drawn up to redevelop the building and site.

Neil Wilson
10-08-2008, 8:44 AM
That's the one, I hope Elley who posted the original query sees this.

Elley
10-08-2008, 4:26 PM
Hi All

Yes I'm here, thank-you to you all for you help. It would be such a shame to think that this building may be demolished, but not really surprised so much of our heritage has disappeared.

I have been watching the posts with interest but being as all I know about Nottingham is the shopping centre I could not join in on the roads and places that were being talked about.

With all your joint efforts my curiosity has been satisfied:)

Thanks again,

Elley

star*65
23-03-2010, 12:05 AM
I know the building you mean. A young girl was found dead in there a couple of years ago. I think the place became a haunt of drug- addicts. It's between the low level station (now a Virgin gym) and Manvers Street.

corieltauvi
08-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Sounds like it might be part of the old Colwick or Netherfield sidings.