PDA

View Full Version : GETTING NOWHERE!!

Pam Frankland
02-08-2008, 5:18 PM
I have been looking for my great uncle's date of death. His name was Reuben Smith born 1906 Darlington, Co Durham. On his return from prisoner of war camp around 1945, I was told that he murdered his mother-in-law and tried to kill his wife. He then committed suicide by decapitation on a railway line! I cannot find his death anywhere. Any advice?

v.wells
02-08-2008, 5:31 PM
Do you have an approximate year of his death? And where was this supposed to have happened. It would make a search easier.

Ladkyis
02-08-2008, 8:05 PM
A quick search through the GRO index brings up only two Reuben SMITHs of around the right age.

SMITH Reuben 42 Darlington 1a 186 sept qtr 1947

SMITH Reuben 43 Cheltenham 7b 547 Mar qtr 1951.

May I also suggest that if you believe that his death happened in Darlington then you could try your local reference library and see what local newspapers they have on microfilm or in their archives. Then search around the time you believe this tragedy happened.

there would have to be an inquest on the death of the woman and while the inquest records might be in your local record office with the quarter sessions records, there would also have been a detailed account in the local press. This would be my first place to look.

Geoffers
02-08-2008, 8:22 PM
Shame the surname couldn't have been something else!

A search of TNA's catalogue shows several files which may be connected in the DPP papers (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?fldLettercodeRef=DPP&fldClassRef=&fldSearchNumber=211832&fldInvert=0&SearchInit=6)
(DPP = Director of Public Prosectutions)

Do you have the mother in law's name - a search of TNA's catalogue may show a file under her name.

The mother-in-law's death certificate may provide some useful information if you can trace the reference in the GRO index.

Pam Frankland
03-08-2008, 8:00 PM
Was told murder and suicide happened in 1945 - mother-in-laws surname may have been Jardine or Duggan. Having had knee operation unable to get to local library, but as soon as I am up and running intend going. Just to say thanks for advice - will keep you posted!