PDA

View Full Version : help please

carol49983
01-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Hi.hope you can help me out here...i am using my laptop to write this massage.... my computer xp windows as all my family tree maker records on it.which is up stairs.and my printer not working...i did try copy all on to a cd...no good try my Data traveler.no luck...so please what am i doing wrong?? the family tree maker is a programe..sorry not to hot on pc talk lol
would it be my laptop which is windows vista?
other then that will have to work up stairs.......or get my printer fixed..

just letting ye know i'm very green to pc talk....so be ware..lol

Procat
02-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Can you please clarify exactly what you are trying to do?

Are you trying to move the information that you have in Family Tree Maker from your desktop computer to your laptop?

If so, have you installed Family Tree Maker on both computers? Is your version of Family Tree Maker compatible with Vista?

You could then try to back up the data in Family Tree Maker on the desktop computer to a CD. This may involve backing it up to your normal location on the desktop and then copy the backup to a CD.

Once you have done that you should then be able to load the data on the CD to Family Tree Maker on the laptop using the restore function.

I don't use Family Tree Maker but my program does allow me to do the above.

MarkJ
02-08-2008, 12:12 AM
As Procat says, we really need to know a bit more about what you wish to do.
What is it that you want to transfer - is it the entire FTM program or some specific data from the program? In what format is the data if that is what you are moving - i.e is it a gedcom, photos, text....

As Procat says, I wonder if you have the FTM program on both your laptop and PC if the data is FTM specific.

Mark

carol49983
02-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Are you are trying to move the information that you have in Family Tree Maker from your desktop computer to your laptop?

just copy and paste your massage above..............yes just that not ALL i have on computer...........meaning pic ect!!

thanks for your help

new bite to pc

carol!!

MarkJ
02-08-2008, 1:14 AM
Okies - do you have a copy of Family Tree Maker on your laptop Carol?

As it is not a program I use myself, I am having to guess a little here, but is there an "Export" function or something similar - maybe called "Export your tree" or something similar?
If you have something like that - and you have a copy of FTM on both your laptop and computer - then it should be fairly straightforward to copy from one machine to the other.

Unless you have a copy of FTM on both machines, then you may be stuck unless you can export the data as a gedcom or similar file. If you do that, you will still need to manually copy your pictures as well.

Mark

Neil Wilson
02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Carol
If you have FTM on both machines, you should be able to copy the file across the network you have in your house. You can also set it up from the laptop to read the file on the PC (as long as it's swtiched on). The problem with the first one is that you end up with 2 copies of your file, one on each machine and one will get updated whilst the other don't. To enable to laptop to read the PC files, make sure that you have set them up in the control panel/network and internet/file sharing, plus also your firewall.
Good luck

Jan1954
02-08-2008, 11:45 AM
If Carol's programme is FTM2005 on the desktop (windows XP) it will not work properly on the laptop (Vista) without an upgrade to the programme.

I know this... |banghead|

Neil Wilson
02-08-2008, 1:20 PM
If Carol's programme is FTM2005 on the desktop (windows XP) it will not work properly on the laptop (Vista) without an upgrade to the programme.

I know this... |banghead|
I managed to get version 10 to work, a download is needed for using it with Vista and then you have to run it as Administrator. Might not be perfect, but it's works.

carol49983
02-08-2008, 8:20 PM
Thank you for all your help.i looked for my family tree maker cd.i put it on my laptop.then went back to my computer.clicked on back up files.saved all to a cd.and woww it worked..lol
so now i have family tree maker on my laptop...only problem is i have not up dated it in a while.i have lots of notes i wrote down on paper.names dates so on.
so i have to sort them out before they can be put in.

cheers carol

MarkJ
02-08-2008, 8:23 PM
Good to hear it is all sorted Carol :)
Thanks for letting us know,

Mark

Procat
03-08-2008, 9:24 AM
The only thing to remember to do now is to keep BOTH the laptop and the desktop up to date.