PDA

View Full Version : James Gosling brickwall- when/where was he born

genewizard
01-08-2008, 7:47 PM
Hi I am trying to trace people who share the same James Gosling in their tree my James was a Sailor/waterman who died in 1887 in Winlaton Gateshead I don't know his year of birth or place of birth as it keeps changing on the 1861-1881 census from Essex to Hebburn then Scotland but I believe he was born between 1835-1840, James was married twice 1st wife Ann? and 2nd wife Susannah who they had 6 children all burn in Hebburn, Durham the children were Mary Jane, John William, Elizabeth Ann, Susannah Dobson, James and Joseph. James was the son of William Gosling a farmer does this ring any bells. Or can any one advice what I can do next as I am unable to find his birth year or district or when his 1st marriage took place. I can't find him on the 1841-1851 census either.|computer|
Thank You

Jan1954
02-08-2008, 1:25 PM
Hello Genewizard and welcome to the forum.

If you can lay your hands on a copy of one of James' marriage certificates, it should name his father plus his occupation. This will then help us to establish the correct James Gosling in the 1841 and 1851 censuses.

So, do you have approximate dates and locations for the marriages?

Peter Goodey
02-08-2008, 2:14 PM
Any issue from the first marriage?

genewizard
02-08-2008, 3:25 PM
I have a copy of James's 2nd marriage certificate he was married 08/11/1868 to Susanna Dobson in the parish church of St John Newcastle upon Tyne his age is given as full, condition is widower, Rank or profession is seaman, residence at time of marriage- the parish fathers name William Gosling - rank - Farmer witnesses at wedding are John Dobson (Susannah's brother) and John Findley.
The 1881 census has James and family living at 29 Lyne Street,Hebburn James is aged 41 a waterman born in Scotland ( though this is a ditto from the previous family). RG11/5028 Folio 38 pg 40
The 1871 census has the family living at the square, Hebburn James is aged 31 with no occupation born Durham Hebburn but I believe that Jame's details could have been put in the boxes for the person above him on the census as the person above him is william pearson aged 81 a waterman born Essex Bradfield.
RG10/5044 Folio 14 pg 21
The 1861 Census has James living with his 1st wife Ann who was born in Scotland their address is 19 Wilson St, Westoe South Shields both are aged 26 James is a Sailor who was born Essex Bradford. RG9/3790 Folio 18 pg 30.
Hope this helps I am now begining to think he was born Essex.

thepalace1
02-08-2008, 7:54 PM
Hi,

I found the death index entry for James Gosling, Gateshead District, Jan - Mar quater 1887

estimated birth year is 1842 as the index has him aged 45.

So he is likely to be born 1841 to March 1842 at latest.

looking at births for a James Gosling born Abt 1841 to 1842, I have this

James Gosling, born Quater 2 ( Apr - Jun ) 1841 in Lexden, Essex

genewizard
02-08-2008, 8:01 PM
Hi, thanks for that I had just been searching through birth records and yours certainly seems better than some of the one's I have come across, I think I will get the certificate ordered straight away and then I'll know one way or another.

thepalace1
02-08-2008, 8:13 PM
No problem genewizard, I am still looking at few other things for you.

As for marriages ( regarding the first marriage to Ann?)

these are the only possibilities I could Find

1) Ann Maria Whitehouse, Mar Quater 1859, (6c, page 525) Kings N District

2) Ann Doherty, Mar Quater 1861, (8d, page 570) Manchester District

3) Ann Jackman, Sep Quater 1867, (5b, page 195) Exter District.

genewizard
02-08-2008, 8:24 PM
I have just ordered James Gosling b 1841 birth cert and also a death cert for a Ann Gosling who died 1867 in south shields, so we will see what happens the best outcome would be that Ann died in childbirth and I would be able to trace the birth and get her maiden name, doesn't that sound awfull but you will know what I mean.|angel|

thepalace1
02-08-2008, 8:29 PM
have a look at this census return for 1851, even if it is just to rule it out

(I have uploaded the census image to my website for you to have a look at)

http://www.treehunters.co.uk/personal/gosling/

genewizard
02-08-2008, 8:34 PM
I had seen that when I was previously searching and thought it could be a match but on his marriage cert when it gives his fathers name it doesn't say deceased, but then again just because they are in a work house it doesn't mean they are orphans do you think I would be able to trace the workhouse records?

thepalace1
02-08-2008, 8:43 PM
I had seen that when I was previously searching and thought it could be a match but on his marriage cert when it gives his fathers name it doesn't say deceased, but then again just because they are in a work house it doesn't mean they are orphans do you think I would be able to trace the workhouse records?

Not too sure about tracing Workshouse records, maybe someone else on the forum will have more knowledge about workhouses than I do.

Also

I have Ann Gosling's death index from Q2 1867 in South Shields stating her estimated birth year as 1839/40

Now I have found an interesting census return for 1861 in Sydenham, Lewisham

again it can be useful to have a look, even just to rule it out

on it it has

James Gosling, born Essex, aged 21
Ann Gosling, born Sydenham, Kent, aged 21
Anne Gosling, born Sydenham, Kent, aged 2
Ellen Gosling, born Sydenham, Kent, aged 10 months

have a look at the image

http://www.treehunters.co.uk/personal/gosling/1861.html

Jan1954
02-08-2008, 8:47 PM
... do you think I would be able to trace the workhouse records?
Have a good look on the Workhouses (http://www.workhouses.org.uk/) website and follow the links on the left.

genewizard
02-08-2008, 8:56 PM
Thanks for all that, I think I will wait and see what turns up with the certificates and if I hit a dead end I think I will trace the births of the children on the 1861 census record you provided and order one of those.

genewizard
09-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Guys the death certificate for Ann Gosling arrived today and it is Jame's 1st wife she died 10/04/1867 in Ellison Street (which ties in with his 2nd wife) of heart disease aged 28, James's occupation is listed as a steamlen or steamden (merchant service). I'm not sure what a stemlen/steamden is but can I now presume that when he was listed as a sailor in the census records that he was a merchant seaman, and are there records anywhere that I can search for further details of James. Just waiting on James's possible birth cert now and I now need to find James and Ann's marriage so I can get her surname.

Geoffers
09-08-2008, 12:12 PM
I now presume that when he was listed as a sailor in the census records that he was a merchant seaman, and are there records anywhere that I can search for further details of James.

Records relating to crew in the Merchant Navy are somewhat complicated as they are held in several places. Have a look through the research guides in the link below, whilst supping a cuppa.

Merchant Seamen (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1#m)

genewizard
28-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Well the certificate for James Gosling finally arrived nearly a month after I ordered it but unfortunetly it's not the correct James Gosling so we can rule out Lexden as place of birth, so back to square one.|help|

Peter Goodey
28-08-2008, 1:47 PM
it's not the correct James Gosling

What were your criteria for deciding that it wasn't the right one?

genewizard
28-08-2008, 6:43 PM
Hi Peter it was the father's name that was the criteria for deciding it wasn't the right one, James's marriage cert to Susanna Dobson has that his father was William Gosling a farmer , the birth cert that arrived today had the farther as John Gosling not quite able to make out the occupation possibly some sort of labourer, the mother is listed as lucy formally Hays. Just thinking about it the 1st son of James and Susanna is called John William but Susannah's dad was called John!! The certificate is quite a poor copy as I can't quite make the date of birth out either.|help|

genewizard
01-10-2008, 9:05 AM
Hi guys just be looking at the Gosling family and I may be clutching at straws here but Susannah and James first son is called John William, now Susannah's father was called John and James's father was William ( according to his 2nd marriage cert) there 1st daughter was called Mary Jane now Susannah's mother was Mary so is it possible that Jame's mother was called Jane or am I now clutching at straws in desperation.
I also found on the 1861 census a George Gosling living in Westoe ( same district as James) a Seaman ( same occupation as James) who was born in Exeter Devon about 1822 could this be some relative.|banghead|

genewizard
08-10-2008, 9:43 PM
Hi Guys I'm still searching for James's birth, I don't think I will ever find it, which means this line of my tree will come to a premature end, however I am still hoping something will come up, I have searched every commercial site and tree for any link but nothing so I resorted to sending messages to 170 people on a UK site that had William Gosling in their tree hoping that one of their's had a son called James who was in the merchant navy for a link, no luck so far, I have also ordered James's death cert hoping that a sibling of James and not one of his kids may have registered it, as his 2 oldest kids would have been 15 and 17? The only other thing I can think about doing is searching for his seaman records which may give his dob and place of birth, I would have to hire a researcher for that though as I live in the north east and can't travel to London, does anyone know how much it would cost to hire a researcher as I am on a limited budget or can someone recommend one?
|banghead||banghead|

genewizard
16-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi Guys bit of a delevopment in the search for James Gosling I received his death today and he died on the 01/02/1887 and cause of death was accidental drowning in the river Tyne at Blaydon and it also says on the certificate that an inquest was held on the 03/02/1887 so hopefully something will come of this.