PDA

View Full Version : HELP Archie McCrea on skid row

louisemccrea
01-08-2008, 7:46 PM
Hi i am looking for any info on a Archiebald McCrea he was the black sheep of the family from what i know he was in the army and became a alchoholic he ended up on skid row and got help from the salvation army either in Clydebank or Glasgow he may of married and then emmigrated to usa. I am not sure if he was a brother to my grandfather or great grandfather my grand fathers parents were a mary Fitzsimmons born 1869 northern ireland and robert john mccrea born 1869 northern ireland mary and robert married in glasgow in1902 and i know they had three children in glasgow but i dont know if they also had archie also mary was married before to a nicholas cloughlan and had a child to him born in ireland about 1898 so maybe archie was a second child to that husband. the other option is him being my great grandfathers brother his parents were a james mccrea and rebecca mccrea nee smith they were both born around mid 1800's in ireland i know rebecca died before 1902 and james after 1902 but thats all the info i have on them.
Any help would be good thanks
Louise:confused:

bumblebee
02-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Hi Louise

Taking McCrea spelt as that without variations of Macrae and destination USA the passenger list shows an Archibald McCrea, 48 year old, (born 1877) travelling out to New York with his wife Mary, also 48 years old, and an eight year old child, Ada, in 1925. He is shown as no occupation and his last address is listed as White Star Line, London SW so not much help there. Also his Country of last permanent residence is ticked as 'Foreign Countries', not England, Scotland or Ireland. The ship was the Celtic and it left Liverpool bound for New York on the 22nd August 1925.

There are a couple of other Archie Macrea's born later (early 1900's) and travelling to Canada, but they are youngsters and would not fit in with the story of him being married and going to the USA.

UPDATE - Just checked Ellis Island Site and there is ,what I am sure is the same family travelling from Egypt to USA in 1924 - Archibald, Mary and Ada and they were all born in the USA - so back to the drawing board.

Bumblebee

louisemccrea
15-08-2008, 3:17 PM
Thanks for the help. Archie still remaines elusive but im sure he will show up eventually.

Thanks louise:)