PDA

View Full Version : Return from Canada to UK

margarita
01-08-2008, 3:48 PM
I have discovered that my husband's father and grandfather travelled to Canada in June 1931 on the SS Laurentic.

This was obviously for holiday as the rest of their history is here in England.

Is there anywhere that I can find out when they returned - preferably on-line as I am a long way from Canada?

Regards,

maggie

Mary Anne
01-08-2008, 4:04 PM
margarita

The Library and Archives Canada are working to add ONLINE more and more passenger lists and references to ships' arrivals all the time. Unfortunately, for the passenger lists, they seem to only be up to 1922 - indeed, for the Laurentic, they are only up to 1914, as far as I can see.

They do seem to have lists of the microfilm reels with passengers lists for those who filled out the Immigration forms up till about 1935 for some ports -- I am not sure whether these would also include folks who were just visiting and no IMMIGRATING. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-908.003.02-e.html The only way you would be able to see these passenger lists at the moment would be by getting someone who could look them up here in Ottawa, at the Library and Archives Canada, on the microfilm.

Do you know where they arrived and departed from?

Mary Anne

margarita
01-08-2008, 4:21 PM
Mary Anne,

Thanks for the very swift reply, which was rather what I thought it might be.

They travelled out on 19th June 1931 from Liverpool & the ship was bound for Quebec & Montreal.

They were both called James GIBSON - father aged 57 & son aged 14 from Scotland.

If anyone could find their return I would be very grateful. My husband didn't know about this trip of his father's.

Regards,

maggie

BeeJay
04-08-2008, 1:57 PM
Inbound passenger lists for 1878-1960 are at the National Archives in BT 26.
Their research guide is here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=106&j=1

But I see you’re a long way from TNA too!

I read in a genealogy magazine a few months ago that sometime in 2008 An**try will be adding passenger lists for people returning to Britain, 1878-1933. Hopefully this is still on schedule.

:)

margarita
04-08-2008, 2:22 PM
I read in a genealogy magazine a few months ago that sometime in 2008 An**try will be adding passenger lists for people returning to Britain, 1878-1933. Hopefully this is still on schedule.

:)

Thanks, BeeJay, for that information.

I will keep my eye on An**try. Let's hope they do it before my sub runs out.

maggie