PDA

View Full Version : Workhouse deaths

pipsqueak
30-07-2008, 9:08 PM
I have found, I think, my gg-gf (Robert Sutton) in Edmonton Union Workhouse in 1901. I really don't know why he was there, unless he was ill. Or poor.

I also can't find his death record. The only clue I have is an entry in a birthday book which says "Grandad died April 2nd 1907". I've already ruled out other possible "Grandads" because they all died either well before 1900 or after WW1.

His name doesn't appear in the death index for that date, so I wondered if workhouse death records were kept separately. Does anyone know where the workhouse records are kept, for Edmonton Union?

Peter Goodey
30-07-2008, 9:45 PM
The death should have been registered in the usual way. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Records of Edmonton workhouse and infirmary are at the London Metrpolitan Archives. According to my records, little of value for your purpose has survived. There are various lists of inmates to tell you that he was there but you know that already ;)

margaretjanew
30-07-2008, 9:48 PM
How about -

Death Maldon
SUTTON Robert, age 73
Jun qtr 1907 Vol 4a p339

There was a workhouse at Maldon - could he have been transferred there?
The age fits in approx with 1901 census info, aged 66

Margaret

pipsqueak
30-07-2008, 10:39 PM
I did see that. I have Robert's birthday at October 26th 1837 so in April 1907 he should have been 69. The workhouse Robert is 66 but should have been 63 (but his birthplace of Crowland, Lincs matches). His occupation is Bricklayer, which is also correct.

I have now sent off for a birth certificate to confirm at least his age.

pipsqueak
29-08-2008, 1:04 PM
I have his birth certificate now, and I was correct. I suppose now I shall have to take a guess and send off for death certificates. I doubt they'll help me much though if they have the wrong age.

v.wells
29-08-2008, 2:56 PM
pipsqueak

The age on the death cert could be just a guess by the informant. But it will at least tell you why he died and what his former occupation was.

annevin
08-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi,
I wouldn't worry about age? as my Grandmother nee Brown b1878 Lpool gave her age as 22 on marriage Certificate in 1905 she married a (Joseph Brown) & it was 65 on her Death certificate, when she died in 1947,which cost a bit till i found the right one. we have no idear why she gave a 5 yr difference?.
My Great Grandmother Mary Ann Brown nee Harrison b Mottram Cheshire 1852 who came from a rich family was supposed to have died in a Workhouse Cheshire /Manchester Area from 1886 to 1902 from Consumption but after numerous searches done at Register office still cannot find her. her grandfather Joseph Harrison disowned her in his will 1870 where we found her father/Mother? had emigrated to Australia by 1870.she married an american mariner Evans Brown 1873 Lpool.
Anne.