PDA

View Full Version : Annan Family - South AFrica

Helenr
30-07-2008, 3:10 PM
I am researching the ANNAN family in South AFrica. I am looking for any information about James Annan born in c1891 in Beaufort West. He died in 1935 in South Africa. He joined the army with the 4th SA Scottish and was injured and in hospital in Richmond, Surrey in 1914 and lost a leg from injuries. At the time he met Alice Mary Holdsworth from Bromley, Kent and married her and then left the UK to go back to South Africa. I have got a copy of his DN from the NAAIRS south african archives and I have got all his army records which are very descriptive. I have managed to trace the Holdsworth family. However my problem is that I can not connect James with a mother or father. On his army records he has indicated that his parents are James Annan and Alice Mary Annan? No records are coming up with these details. The home affairs office in SA has sent back the application for the Birth Certificate saying that it is too far back to be able to give me a copy of a certificate as there would not have been one. I can not even trace back where his ancestors came from. I am totally at a deadend and would appreciate any help at all. I am already subscribing to the ROotsweb message boards.

Thanks
Helen