PDA

View Full Version : I Have a Problem !

chrisj1961
30-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi all, I have a bit of a problem with one of my ancestors. my 2nd great grandad William Henry Chadwick was put into a ragged school in 1861 at the age of 6. Before my nan died, she told me that she had heard stories that there was a bit of a scandal with his father who was in the army and he was excecuted abroad. Now that I am doing the family tree, I have looked further into this and a private Chadwick was executed in Corfu for killing one of his colleagues. William Henry himself was born in Malta, but I have no record of his birth there, despite going onto Find My Past and looking through the army records there. William Henry is down on various censuses as being from Malta, Copre Malta and being a Military british Subject.

What I am trying to find out is

What his fathers name was
Who was his mother
where did they originally come from ?

If anybody can help, please let me know and thanks for anything at all you can dig up for me or even point me in the right direction to look :)

ash33au
30-07-2008, 1:01 PM
This sounds like a ripper. I think I'll keep an eye on your progress as it seems like an interesting story :)

Jillychris
30-07-2008, 2:42 PM
You could try this web-site

http://www.maltafamilyhistory.com/

Regards
Jill

chrisj1961
30-07-2008, 4:11 PM
Thanks ever so Jill - This is my little man but its more or less what I already know or have been told about him.

Private CHADWICK, 1st Battalion, 9th Regiment, loaded his rifle and went into the room of Corporal Donnelly and shot him. The ball passed through the Corporal’s back and he lingered in great pain for about 36 hours but expired. Chadwick was found Guilty of Murder at his Court Martial and sentenced to death. He was hanged on 8th November 1861 on the South Parade of the Citadel in Corfu

But ...... no christian name or anything else tut - I know the 9th regiment came from Norfolk but without a christian name I have a problem !!

There is also info about william henry on there but its not accurate as his wife actually came from staffordshire (that's a census thingie taken from An******),

Once again, thanks for looking :)

chrisj1961
18-08-2008, 4:22 PM
Just to bump this up slightly. I applied to the GRO for a birth certificate as William Henry had been born abroad (Malta - father in the army) - they have just replied saying there is no record of his birth certificate. Where do I go now - or is this just literally another dead end ?

Any help, once again would be most appreciated :)

Peter Goodey
18-08-2008, 6:28 PM
This may help -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=28