PDA

View Full Version : FREE AVG V8 SOFTWARE

gibo
30-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Hey good people - I have been using and recommend AVG freebie antivirus software.
It is the right price and is easy to use. It includes anti-spyware protection as well.
Has free updates daily - which is important becasue people don't realise that out of date protection IS THE SAME AS NOT HAVING ANY PROTECTION!

Good luck

Tederator
30-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey good people - I have been using and recommend AVG freebie antivirus software.

But has it got a firewall, nothing mentioned about a firewall in the blurbo, if it hasn't got a firewall its not worth having----IMHO

Cheers

Ted.

MarkJ
30-07-2008, 12:26 PM
If you are using Windows, then you should already have a firewall. Windows XP has included a semi decent firewall, enabled by default, since SP2. Most routers act as a firewall by using something called Network Adress Translation (NAT) as well.

AVG is a very good free anti virus software which I have no problem recommending to those people who don't already have anti virus software. It has a much lower memory footprint than many of the large well known companies' efforts.

If you want a free firewall as well, then look at Zone Alarm from Zone Labs. As with AVG, it does the job as well as any expensive product - but for free! Unlike many others, Zone Alarm allows you to block both incoming AND outgoing connections - which is very useful if you happen to pick up any spyware or similar junk which wants to dial home.

Finally, I would also recommend Spybot S&D or Lavasofts AdAware (or both if you are really paranoid!) to remove the spyware which accumulates on Windows machines.

Mark (IT Technician)

michaelpipe
30-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Finally, I would also recommend Spybot S&D or Lavasofts AdAware (or both if you are really paranoid!) to remove the spyware which accumulates on Windows machines.

Mark (IT Technician)

Looks like a Linux user - not enough of them around:D:D

MarkJ
30-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Looks like a Linux user - not enough of them around:D:D

Yes I am a Linux user ;)
But oddly, I rarely have to look at Linux systems for repair!

Personally, I have no issue with Windows machines (or Macs or BSD boxes or OS/2 machines or....), but I find Linux much better for the things I do. I do have an issue with the Microsoft company and their methods but not with the actual software in the main.

Mark

Tederator
30-07-2008, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=MarkJ;180946
AVG is a very good free anti virus software
Mark (IT Technician)[/QUOTE]

I don't have any problems with AVG, I've been using it for years, v7.5 at the moment, but it does have a firewall in it , which I like. I was just pointing out the fact that with no firewall in the version mentioned, it does not have full security coverage. AVG7.5 has been doing a good job for me and my other computers, I have never trusted freebies of any brand of AV systems at any time, there is always something missing. IMHO.

Cheers

Ted.

MarkJ
30-07-2008, 1:13 PM
I don't have any problems with AVG, I've been using it for years, v7.5 at the moment, but it does have a firewall in it , which I like. I was just pointing out the fact that with no firewall in the version mentioned, it does not have full security coverage. AVG7.5 has been doing a good job for me and my other computers, I have never trusted freebies of any brand of AV systems at any time, there is always something missing. IMHO.

Cheers

Ted.

Sorry Ted - I misunderstood your earlier comment. I haven't tried out version 8 of AVG as yet myself so I can't comment on that specific version.
I have always found AVG to work fine myself and it is what I carry around for installation on Windows machines if they don't already have AV software. My own systems - as Michael noted - are Linux, thus avoiding the need for AV software.*

Because I work in an environment where free is the word of the day (i.e Open Source and Free Software) - and I began computing where most stuff was free or shareware even on the Microsoft platform - I have no problem with free software. Sensible choices are vital of course - a "free Vista ultimate download" could well be something else!
A free Anti Virus program from a well respected outfit such as Grisofts AVG is going to do the job fine - but without the "bells and whistles" often found on other programs (which tend to be the cause of slowdowns anyway).

Whatever AV software people use, the most vital thing is to keep it up to date! The number of machines I come across which had a free years subscription to an AV program when they bought the system and then, when the free subscription ran out, they just don't update it.....
Better to uninstall the commercial program if you won't pay for the updates and install a free ones such as AVG than to sit there with out of date virus definitions and assume all is well in a sense of false security.

Mark

* Whilst a couple of worms exist which can affect Linux machines, they are very program/version specific and aimed at servers. Like Windows machines, Linux boxes can fall foul of rootkits - but there are various ways to detect those.

Tederator
31-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Whatever AV software people use, the most vital thing is to keep it up to date!

My AVG 7.5 downloads updates every day on start up, as my license on three computers expires next May I will consider my options at that time.

Cheers

Ted.

Marie C..
08-08-2008, 6:45 PM
I have AVG 8. I also have Zone alarm. Zone alarm will not allow AVG daily updates nor will it allow AOL (my server) to connect. So I have to switch Zone alrm off before I can access the internet and I turn it on again when I sign off. (A nuisance to say the least.)
Marie

Neil Wilson
08-08-2008, 6:50 PM
I have AVG 8. I also have Zone alarm. Zone alarm will not allow AVG daily updates nor will it allow AOL (my server) to connect. So I have to switch Zone alrm off before I can access the internet and I turn it on again when I sign off. (A nuisance to say the least.)
Marie
So what you are doing is turning your firewall off whilst you are online. This means that any unauthorised program/intruder attack/worm can enter your PC.

With Zonealarm you have to set it to allow the programs to access the Internet. Until you do it is of no value to your system.

Marie C..
08-08-2008, 8:30 PM
How do I do that Neil please?

Patricia Anne
09-08-2008, 7:23 AM
As a general note to this.
I used AVG (free) for years but in 2005/6 I had some serious conflict issues with it so I binned it and changed to Avast (free) which I have used ever since. It also upgrades daily and (so far) it has managed to catch every nasty sent my way.
I would recommend it to anyone.
Tricia

keith9351
09-08-2008, 8:10 AM
Hi Marie
I use AVG 8 and ZoneAlarm together and they work fine.
If you go to ZoneAlarm and click on program control there's two folder tabs, click on programs and it will list the programs that have tried to access the internet along with permissions given.
Go down to AVG and one of the columns is titled access, click mouse and it give you the option to Add, Block or Ask, just change to what ever you want.

Keith

Marie C..
09-08-2008, 9:25 AM
Thanks Keith,
I investigated last night after seeing your post. There was a long list of things. I ticked all the AOL things but this morn I still had to exit Zone before it would let me on,
At present it won't allow updates to AGV so must sort it. Shall I just tick everthing?
I didn't have this trouble with AVG7. I think it's Aol too that's the nuisance.
Marie

Neil Wilson
09-08-2008, 5:53 PM
thanks Keith for your reply has it is a long time since I used ZoneAlarm.

Marie - AVG (any free version) doesn't include a firewall.

Its the old story - you get what you pay for - not knocking the free stuff but it pays to buy AV and firewall as an all-in-one package and have knowledge that your system is safe.

MarkJ
09-08-2008, 6:02 PM
Thanks Keith,
I investigated last night after seeing your post. There was a long list of things. I ticked all the AOL things but this morn I still had to exit Zone before it would let me on,
At present it won't allow updates to AGV so must sort it. Shall I just tick everthing?
I didn't have this trouble with AVG7. I think it's Aol too that's the nuisance.
Marie

You must be missing something Marie. Not all the AOL stuff is obvious from memory. Lots of people use AOL and AVG with Zone Alarm - I used to do so myself and had no problems.
Turning off the firewall is not a good idea - nor is allowing everything through regardless of what it is. Another thing you must allow through is svchost - which is a Windows thing which must be allowed to access the web. Without that, you will not get any connection. If you set up Zone Alarm in the "easy mode" or whatever it is called, you were given the option to let ZA sort things out. It should work in that way, but I always preferred to see what programs were attempting to connect to the web and then select the appropriate choice from Allow Always, Allow Once or Deny (or something like that). Obviously, AOL and AVG need Allow Always, as does the svchost thing. Other programs need a little inspection and thought sometimes.

Mark

keith9351
09-08-2008, 6:27 PM
Hi Marie
Sorry for delay had to go shopping. On my ZoneAlarm in the access column I have "AVG update download" and both Trusted and Internet are ticked.
I use TalkTalk as my provider, which own AOL UK not sure if that makes any different.

Keith

Marie C..
09-08-2008, 6:58 PM
Thanks MarkJ and Keith,
Shall have another go. Tried several times today.
This trouble only started when I loaded the AGV8.
Having a laptop for golden wedding present so shall have a really good anti virus firewall etc in with it. Hopefully no problems then.
Shall be asking how on earth I transfer all my stuff from here to vista!
marie

gibo
26-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Guys,
I note with interest the mention of turning off firewall to use the internet. This defeats the purpose! When you are on the net - particularly broadband - you not only have fast access to stuff but the world has an open channel to your pc as well! Complete security confidence does involve having up to date protection for viruses AND a decent firewall. I believe Vista does have a better "built in" firewall but still not wonderfull. I have used a free Firewall called Filseclab but it is incompatible with Vista (Ok on XP etc). I have another freebie firewall that I would recomend trying called Commodo. It is versatile although can be complicated. These freebies can be downloaded from www.filehippo.com Good luck !

MarkJ
27-01-2009, 1:33 AM
Where did you see that? (ah - Maries comment!)
I very occasionally mention it if someone has problems with access to the web (to exclude a firewall issue) - but only under certain circumstances and for a few moments.

I always used to use (and still recommend) Zone Alarm, although it is a lot more "hassle" these days with its "added features".

Almost all routers have a firewall built in - which by default will prevent basic intrusion issues. I am sure you will know how they work gibo, so I won't go into detail here.

My personal systems are Linux, so much of the virus side of things is not an issue, but I do have a firewall. I also run regular rootkit checks. As a technician, I deal with a number of Windows machines and you would be shocked at the number I find with no AV program at all - or with an out of date AV program. I have seen some pretty shocking things over the years - machines with literally hundreds of pieces of serious malware on them (some even had DOS scripts on the desktop which were obviously something unusual - yet the owner had "no idea" that there was anything wrong!).

Mark :)

Tederator
27-01-2009, 1:35 AM
Guys,
I note with interest the mention of turning off firewall to use the internet. This defeats the purpose!

I never turn off my firewall at any time and all my AV programs are kept right up to date. We had an experience once where on a Sunday evening we had a visit from police officers enquiring about some expensive laptops that had been purchased, and they had traced it to my wife's computer, they even showed us a photo of a person picking up the laptops, these people had used my wife's computer to purchase these things, the police inspected my wife's computer and found nothing untoward then left, we heard nothing more after that. Later I did a check on the wife's computer and found that the firewall had not been configured correctly, I very quickly fixed that. It shows that there are people out there looking for loopholes in people's computers. The moral to this story is don't turn your firewall off while you are on the net.

Cheers

Ted.

MarkJ
27-01-2009, 2:05 AM
A good warning for us all Ted. Hopefully other members will take notice and ensure their firewall is working correctly.

Mark

BeeE586
27-01-2009, 1:11 PM
If for no other reason I will always be grateful to GenesReunited for finding me the son of a cousin three times removed who is a computer mechanic and lives just four miles away. He has installed AVG anti virus, Zone Alarm and Spybot on my machine and they all run beautifully. (Touch wood). I update every evening on AVG, run a full check every Sunday afternoon and Spybot once a month to remove any nasties lurking in the background and I am AOL. Previously I was paying AOL for Norton so I was pleased. He did also install a Firewall from somewhere but I have forgotten where.

I think the operative phrase is "He has installed" - speaking for myself, I wouldn't know where to start, but so far everything works.

Eileen

anndot
28-01-2009, 11:22 AM
i wouldnt use the free AVG V8 soft ware, had it installed for 4 months and ended up with 106 viruses on my computer it wasnt up dateing every day.
had to pay 45.00 for some one to come and sort my computer out and install a paying soft ware.
but each to his/her own
anndot

Jack Richards
28-01-2009, 2:01 PM
Well "andot" you do surprise me. I have been using the Grisoft AVG software for several years now and have never had a problem. I have set my AVG to update every day at a certain time (around 8 a.m. from memory) and it has never failed to do so, at least as far as I know.

As an extra precaution and on a regular basis, (every couple of days) I do a manual check for updates and almost without exception, my updates are up to date.

Furthermore, also I do have my AVG software do me a full scan every few days, even though it is "continually scanning" (my words).

Admittedly, my AVG Free software, does not "catch" all the spyware, but another piece of software, obliges with that matter.

I'm sure our reliable MARK may wish to comment, because his contributions on such matters are always more than welcome.

Regards Jack

busyglen
28-01-2009, 2:23 PM
Eileen, I also have just had my PC updated with AVG, Zone Alarm etc. today by my pc technician, as my Norton was about to expire. He suggested AVG about 6 months ago, and I trust his recommendations as he has never let me down yet. I always go to the experts for advice, and so far my `man' has been as good as his word. (He's my `local' MarkJ, and I am pleased to say that they seem to concur on most things) ;)

Glenys

gibo
23-02-2009, 4:30 AM
Guys,
interesting how you claim 104 viruses - after avg installed.
I would say that the system may not have been "clean" before the software was put onto the machine (important) OR not updated correctly. If you use out of date software you might as well not have it installed at all! If you suspect you already have a virus you need to have that removed first. Some boot sector viruses sit in the very first start up file and are not visible i.e. not easily found and deleted. In other words your boot sector must be clean to ensure you are working with virus free pc. Some web sites have online scanners that might assist in this case e.g.

home.mcafee.com/Downloads/FreeScan.aspx Good luck!

mfwebb
23-02-2009, 7:54 AM
I have used AVG Free for 4 or 5 years without any problems whatsoever. I am currently on Version 8. I also use Sygate Personal Firewall which was free when I got it but has since been taken over by Norton and is no longer available.

I set AVG to auto update daily (at about 8.20 a.m.) and I manually scan when I finish and tell it to close down the computer when it's finished.

I manually check for spyware periodically using either Spybot or Adaware (or both sometimes).

Just a note about Norton Antivirus -- I have had problems with it on every computer I have used from it being slow to not allowing me to send e-mails. I now routinely delete or uninstall Norton from every new computer I have purchased in the last few years. It seems to be one of those annoying programmes which comes "free" with new computers that you can try for 6 months then have to pay for.

rayknight
25-03-2009, 8:51 PM
To be honest I've never been a fan of AVG. I've found it's become a bit too bloated, heading in the direction of Norton and McAfee. I'm more a fan of Avast, Anti-Vir and Clamwin
As for firewall, behind a router and Windows Firewall do me alright really.

Geoffers
25-03-2009, 9:10 PM
Welcome to the B-G forums and thanks for the suggestions

I've found it's become a bit too bloated, heading in the direction of Norton and McAfee. I'm more a fan of Avast, Anti-Vir and Clamwin.

Direct links to commercial companies are not allowed on the forums, so I have removed the links. If anyone is interested, the programme sites can be found using a search engine.