PDA

View Full Version : WICKINS

rwickins
30-07-2008, 2:56 AM
I experienced my first genealogy related heartbreak yesterday! I made a trip to a Historical Society in my area only to find through research done by a distant relative of mine that I have been researching the wrong family for months now. Now I am thrown back to the beginning again, but at least I will be on the right track this time. |banghead|

The areas of interest for my research are Pershore, Worcester, Apmthill, Bedford and Bedfordshire now.

I am focusing on moving backwards from William Wickins (b. 22 December 1821 in England d. 23 December 1899 in Chili, NY). William Wickins married an Eliza Hundy in England sometime before 1841 (I am assuming this because their first son was born in 1841), but I am unable to find a marriage certificate to give a solid location and date. They came to New York in 1869 with three children: Josiah (b. 1841), Albert (b. 1851), George (b. 1853). It is rumored that they had a daughter, Emma, but I only know her married name of Griffen and nothing else. I am suspicious that they had another son, John, but I cannot be sure.

I can find this family easily in New York Census information after their arrival in New York in 1869, but I am unable to find them in the 1841, 1851, or 1861 UK censuses. The only documents of information in the UK I can find are Josiah’s birth certificate in Pershore (1841), Albert’s birth certificate in Ampthill (1851), George’s birth certificate in Ampthill (1853), and Josiah’s marriage certificate to a Hannah Whittington in Ampthill (1860).

I am wondering why this family simply doesn’t show up in the 1841, 1851 or 1861 UK Censuses and how this could be possible! I have tried every possible misspelling of Wickins and I still come up with nothing. What does anyone think possible reasons for their absence from these censuses could be? Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next? :confused:

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer! |help|

Rachel

Waitabit
30-07-2008, 3:27 AM
Hi Rachel, I keyed in Josiah, his birth date, Father & Mothers names & came up with 1851...
Josiah Weckins age 9 ,,parents William & Eliza..born Defford Worcestershire England..reg.dist. Ampthill ..

Alfred Weckins 4mths,..Charles Weckins 5 yr...Eliza 28..John 3 yr...9 b.1842..William Weckins 32..William Weckins 7 yrs.

I'll look for more
cheers Wendy

Waitabit
30-07-2008, 3:56 AM
Here you go: 1851..H.O.107/1754..Marston dist.Bedford.
William ..Ag.Lab.
eliza .. Lacemaker.

1861 Josiah "Wilkins" 19 Brickies LAb. b. Besford Worcester.
Hannah-wife-19 ..Lacemaker, b.Marston Bedfordshire.
Lower Shelton Marston R.G.9 1002. page 10.

William "Wilkins" c1820 Hartwell Northamptonshire..coal dealer & grocer..wife Eliza.
Charles 15..John 13..
Albert 11... George ?...Emma 5.
65 Lower Shelton Marston page 13 R.G. 9 1002

rwickins
30-07-2008, 3:59 AM
Thank you so much, Wendy!! I am so happy right now, my "Woo Hoo!" just woke up the whole house. It is them! But of all the misspellings, I never would have thought this one would pop up. |laugh1|

Today is my birthday and I can honestly say that this was the best gift I could have ever received. Thank you again for your help! |hug|

Rachel

Waitabit
30-07-2008, 4:23 AM
You are soooo welcome. I love it when a good thing comes together.

Have a memorable day |birthday|

Wendy