PDA

View Full Version : Name Change Help

dstaples
07-01-2005, 9:06 AM
Can someone please clarify if there is some legal process for changing ones given names. I know there is for changing your surname, but cannot find anything about given names.

The perplexing issue I have, is to do with my GGrandfather.
He was born Harry (only given name given on his Birth Cert).
He appears as Henry on the 1881 & 1891 Census. Have yet to find him on the 1901 Census.
He used Harry on his Marriage Cert (1902) and all his children's Birth Certs while he lived in Grimsby (1903 -1912).
When he moved to Sunderland he used the name Michael Harry on the Birth Cert of his last child which was born Sunderland 1922. He also used Michael Harry on the Marriage Certs for his children. His own death certificate also lists his name as Michael Harry (1963).

Any assistance would great.
Thanks

Peter Goodey
07-01-2005, 9:25 AM
Well yes, there is a legal process to change one's surname but that does not mean that it's illegal to use a different name without going through that process.

Fundamentally the law has always been that you can use whatever name you like so long as it's not with intent to defraud. Today, with all the officialdom weighing down on us, it's difficult to see how you could get away with it in practice.

Providing you have the evidence that this is just one person, the chances are that he just used different forenames depending how he felt. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps Michael was a nickname that stuck. Perhaps he was baptised with a Michael in his name but just registered as Harry. I wouldn't lose any sleep about it. Might be worth looking to see if he was baptised, though.

Geoffers
07-01-2005, 9:29 AM
Can someone please clarify if there is some legal process for changing ones given names....my GGrandfather...was born Harry (only given name given on his Birth Cert). He appears as Henry on the 1881 & 1891 Census. Have yet to find him on the 1901 Census. When he moved to Sunderland he used the name Michael Harry on the Birth Cert of his last child which was born Sunderland 1922.If you are certain that you have found the records of just one person and not two, and given the period when this was happening; I would suggest that he probably did not go through any process (you don't mention if the birth certificate has been altered). There is nothing to stop you calling yourself any name, provided it is not done with criminal intent.

He most likely just called himself Henry/Harry as he wished. As far as the additional name Michael is concerned, you might check the parish registers to see if he was christened with this additional name. Other than that, were there any other members of the family called Michael, to whom he was close and who died about this time?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-01-2005, 10:20 AM
I had a similar problem with my husband's Gt. Grandfather, not so much with forenames but with surnames! He was born Frederick Grant but baptised Frederick James Grant. He never had his surname changed legally by Deed Poll, but as you will see from bits copied from my file on him ..... he had no intent to defraud, so OK on that one ...... but he did have a second unlawful marriage! :D

Part One .......

EXTRACT FROM A COPY WILL DATED 25th NOVEMBER 1890
Solicitor: G.R. Dodd of 54 New Broad Street, London E.C.

THIS IS THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT of me FREDERICK JAMES GRANT commonly known as and trading in the name of FREDERICK JAMES SALMON Licensed Victualler of Graving Dock Tavern North Woolwich Road Silvertown in the County of Essex and now residing at "Granville House" 241a Romford Road Forest Gate in the County of Essex Whereas I have purchased and had conveyed to me various properties in the names of Frederick James Salmon also Frederick James Grant Salmon at different times And whereas my dear wife or reputed wife Caroline Ellinor Orford formerly Caroline Ellinor Woolhouse spinster to whom I was married in the year 1883 at the Parish Church of All Souls Newington Butts in the County of Surrey and by whom I have had children is the sister of my late wife Alice Grant otherwise Salmon and I sincerely hope and trust that the law with relation to such marriages may be speedily altered making the same perfectly legal and valid And I give devise and bequeath all my real and leasehold estate whatsoever unto and to the use of my said wife Caroline Ellinor Orford or Grant

Signed by the said testator FREDERICK J. GRANT FREDERICK J. SALMON

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Part Two .......

CODICIL DATED 17th MAY 1900
Solicitor: Cecil J. Rawlinson of 47 New Broad Street, London E.C.

The names are the same, he gives his residence still as "Granville House" and he signed the Codicil twice as above.

The Will was Proved with a Codicil 4th August 1900
__________________________________________________ _______________

GRANT-SALMON otherwise GRANT otherwise SALMON Frederick James
of Granville House Romford Road Essex died 16 June 1900
Probate London 4 August 1900 to Caroline Ellinor Orford Grant Salmon widow
Effects £8507 19s. 8d.

Names used by Frederick:
Frederick GRANT Legal Name: 1849 Birth 1851 & 1861 Censuses
Frederick James GRANT 1871 Marriage
Frederick James SALMON 1871 & 1881 Censuses
Frederick JAMES 1882 Kelly's Directory
Frederick James GRANT-SALMON 1883 Marriage 1891 Census Burial

Guy Etchells
07-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Well yes, there is a legal process to change one's surname but that does not mean that it's illegal to use a different name without going through that process.

Fundamentally the law has always been that you can use whatever name you like so long as it's not with intent to defraud. Today, with all the officialdom weighing down on us, it's difficult to see how you could get away with it in practice.

Providing you have the evidence that this is just one person, the chances are that he just used different forenames depending how he felt. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps Michael was a nickname that stuck. Perhaps he was baptised with a Michael in his name but just registered as Harry. I wouldn't lose any sleep about it. Might be worth looking to see if he was baptised, though.

It is quite simple as there is ONLY ONE legal way to change your name and that is by use.
Everything else, deed poll, annoucements, statutory declaration etc.etc. are only means of announcing a name change they do not legally change the name.

Even today the only requirement for a name change is to use a different name then every government department has to accept and acknowledge the new name.
Cheers
Guy

busyglen
07-01-2005, 1:44 PM
I had an Uncle Harry, whos son was called Henry. Henry was always called Harry until later in life when he reverted back to Henry.

I also have had difficulties tracing the eldest son of my gt. grandfather. He was shown on the 1881 Census as Joseph Naish, but I couldn't trace him anywhere else. I eventually found a contact, who told me that Joseph was actually named James Joseph! Now I can't find my gt. grandfather who was shown as Joseph also....perhaps he was James as well.!!

I wonder if they know what they are putting us through now! |banghead|

Glenys