PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter's with a name change

Chris Bass
29-07-2008, 8:44 AM
Hi all,

I have a problem finding my Great Grandfather - Edwin Henry Carpenter, I know he married Sarah Frances Ollett in Kings Lynn March 1889, they had a child Edwin Charles. I know he died aged 30 in 1891 and the only match I can make is in Bermondsey Dec 1859 but i haven't been able to make a link (probably having a bad day!!)
I know now that Sarah remarried a Edward Foster and they changed Edwin Charles to foster which had caused me problems.

Thanks for any help
Chris

janbooth
29-07-2008, 11:14 AM
It also looks as though Edwin & Sarah had another son after Edwin C. In the 1891 census of Kings Lynn (RG12/1570, folio 93, page 8), Sarah is living with her parents James & Susannah OLLETT, still described as married, with children Edwin aged 1 and an unnamed son aged under 1 month.

Have you obtained the death certificate for Edwin Henry and if so what was his occupation? This could help you to trace him in the 1881 census. Have you obtained the marriage certificate of Edwin H and Sarah? This will give you the name and profession of Edwin's father - again very helpful when tracing them in earlier census records.

The marriage of Edwin Henry CARPENTER and Frances Sarah A OLLETT was registered in the March qtr 1889 at Kings Lynn reg district, vol 4b, page 477. The death registration of Edwin Henry CARPENTER was at Kings Lynn reg district in the December qtr 1891, vol 4b, page 221, aged 30. Certificates can be ordered online at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/. Henry should therefore appear somewhere on the 1891 census and lo and behold here he is living at 5 Gusnock Terrace, South Lynn (RG12/1570, folio 95, page 12), described as a married 31 year old Ironmongers Porter, born London. If you obtain his marriage certificate, that should ennable you to trace back a further generation.

HTH

Janet

Chris Bass
29-07-2008, 11:47 AM
In the 1891 census the it actually puts 'ditto' in under the the name of Edwin Carpenter and I was told that this was probably a confusion and therefore the same person as there is no mention of another son nor of his death.
The informatiom in the 1891 census I hadn't found ( not sure what happened there!!!!) but that could link to the birth I have found in Bermondsey Dec 1859.
Will do some further checking
Many thanks
Chris