PDA

View Full Version : William Reid and Ann MacKay, Latheron

Karen Grant
07-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Hi all,

Looking for anyone with connections to Ann MacKay and William Reid.

Ann MacKay b. 1853, dau of Donald MacKay blacksmith Berriedale, Latheron, and Marion Ross.
In 1891, Ann and William were living at Alness, Ross Shire, when their son Andrew Adam Reid was born.

Andrew Reid later enlisted in the CEF at Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in 1914.

No other information about the Reid family at this time.
Kindest Regards,

Karen Grant
Canada

Mary Young
07-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi, Karen
Information we now have from Isabella McGregor, confirms William Reid's parents were both born in Tongue. They married in Latheron, 1853. In 1881 they were at Township Houstry, Latheron. (vol.038, enumdist. 14, page 6).
Hugh Reid, 52, born Sutherland, wife Grace Reid [ms Macintosh] 54, also born Sutherland., and 3 of their children.
I suspect Hugh Reid's parents were William Reid in Braetongue, and his first wife, Mary Anderson.
Grace was probably Grace Mackenzie Macintosh, born 1823 in Tongue to John Macintosh & Ann Reid.
So (bottom line) it would be great if someone on the Caithness Forum already had death information on Hugh Reid and his wife, Grace (Macintosh) Reid.|help|

Karen Grant
09-01-2005, 1:25 AM
Hi Mary,

Happy New Year! I have been chipping away at William Reid for a while, so it was great of you and Isabella to share these details. I am also going at it from the other end, and having some obits checked in Winnipeg to see what other information might be turned up to fill in some gaps. I am still getting used to the new forum system, and have resolved to try to get onto the board on a fairly regular basis.

Thanks for your help!
Karen

Mary Young
09-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Hello, Karen
Glad you are enjoying the Forums!
One benefit is, you can edit your previous posts. I've just done that - it turns out, the John Macintosh who emigrated may not have been Grace's father after all. :o

Karen Grant
07-03-2005, 9:38 PM
Hi Mary,

We are likely on the wrong posting board here, but I thought I should reply to the string so I wouldn't confuse you (or myself!)...

I was looking through Highland Hearts and came across these folks at Allt Na Caillich Burial Ground, wondered what you think of them as the parents & siblings of Grace McIntosh Reid?

John McIntosh d. 1869, aged 77
wife Mary Mackenzie d. 1878, aged 87
son James McIntosh d. 1846, aged 24
dau Elizabeth d. 1881, aged 54

the stone next to it is Mary McIntosh d. 1891 aged 22 - it doesn't state a relationship, but perhaps another daughter?

Let me know what you think,

Karen

Mary Young
07-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Hi, Karen
Thanks for the info. on that John Macintosh family on memorial at Allt Na Caillich Burial Ground, Durness. Alas, I am indeed confused - just too many Macintoshes :)
I will look up Grace Macintosh's death sometime soon, hopefully this will confirm her age and parentage.
Kind regards

mavis matheson
16-03-2005, 6:49 PM
My great grandparents were Donald Mackay (1829-18.5.1918) and Janet Sinclair Mackay (nee Mann) (1827-1909). He was the son of John Mackay (1797-13.1.1873) and Catherine Mackay (nee Grant) (1806-15.4.1890). John was from Berriedale and they lived at Borgue. I wondered if there was any connection. I am sure there is somewhere with it being such a small community.

Regards,

Mavis