PDA

View Full Version : EMAIL ACCOUNT SCAM IN NEW ZEALAND

David Tuson
28-07-2008, 12:47 AM
I use an ISP called ACTRIX. I've just received a messages asking me to send my surname and password to the Customercare centre immediately otherwisw my account will be close. I suspected it was a hoax because the word should have been CLOSED and the return address was not 'actrix'. I didn't respond - simply went to the web site to double check, and found the following announcement "
"Some customers may have recently received an E-mail to their Actrix E-mail address explaining that "Actrix Web Customer Care" requires confirmation of personal details such as their username and password. Please rest assured that this is a hoax E-mail as Actrix would never ask for confirmation of your password via E-mail, and we advise that it would be best to delete this message".

I don't expect many members of the forum use Actrix - I've posted this just in case the same ploy is used on other ISP sites

David

michaelpipe
28-07-2008, 1:31 AM
I have the same here in Australia (ISP Chariot) from time to time.
The return address for the email is not the ISP's correct address, but always a concocted address including something like Yahoo, so trash them immediately.
Michael

Pam Downes
28-07-2008, 8:21 AM
Any email which asks me to send a password, or other personal details, gets (in Michael's words :) ) trashed immediately. :D
Especially the ones from banks which tell me my account will be closed if I don't send my details within the next five minutes. I've spent many hours wondering how they can close a non-existent account. :confused:
Pam