PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Wandless brickwall

Slapshot21
27-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Hello all. I am new to this site, but not new to genealogy. I hope I can get some help with my brickwall.
My great great grandfather Joseph Wandless married Isabella Hunter on 23 November, 1830 in Sunderland. They had three children, Jane (b. 1830 & died 1831), Jane (b 1832), and Joseph (b 1834).
Sometime between 1834 and 1841 Joseph dissapears. Isabella shows up in the 1841 Census married to a George Glassper or Clasper.
Monkwearmouth HO107/299/9
Stafford Street
George Glassper 20 coal miner born in Durham
Isabella do 30 born in Durham
Mary do 3 born in Durham
William do 2 months born in Durham
Jos'p Wandlass 7 bron in Durham
Jane do 9 born in Durham

In the 1851 census, Jane and Joseph are listed as Clasper, along with George, Isabella, and William. They are now living on New Square in Monkwearmouth.
In 1871, Jane is gone and Joesph is once again listed as Glasper. I love the way the spelling kept changing!
Now my brickwalls are: Did the first Joseph die? I cannot find any record of it, if he did. When did Isabella marry George? Here is another record I cannnot locate! And then I cannot find who the parents of Joesph are. These questions have been bothering me for many years now and I would love to have them solved. Though I do know that we all have many mysteries that will never be solved!
If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated! :)
Let me know if I have left anything out!
Thank you.

michaelpipe
28-07-2008, 2:14 AM
Isabella shows up in the 1841 Census married to a George Glassper or Clasper.
Monkwearmouth HO107/299/9
Stafford Street
George Glassper 20 coal miner born in Durham
Isabella do 30 born in Durham
Mary do 3 born in Durham
William do 2 months born in Durham
Jos'p Wandlass 7 bron in Durham
Jane do 9 born in Durham

Now my brickwalls are: Did the first Joseph die? I cannot find any record of it, if he did. When did Isabella marry George?

Hi Slapshot,
There is a member submitted entry on the LDS which says 1832, but that is obviously incorrect. However in view of the fact that the first child (Mary) from the second 'marriage' was registered Sept Qtr 1838 Sunderland (as Glasper), then it would appear reasonable that if they were married, then it would most probably have happened sometime in 1837, and possibly before civil registration. Do I take it that you have searched the Sunderland registers for that time?

There is, of course , the possibility that they did not marry.

Michael

Slapshot21
28-07-2008, 3:51 PM
I haven't had a look at the Sunderland registers just yet, I can only see the ones that are on the LDS site, the Family Search Record Search. I have noticed that in the Sunderland section, some records are actually for Wallsend, Northumberland! Rather funny..... I hope to have a go through those tonight.
Thank you for the help...I have had it in the back of my head that Isabella and George may not have married, wouldn't be the first time in the family! :)
Sylvia