PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian railways

Humptydingo
27-07-2008, 6:56 AM
Does anyone know if any railway engineers from the North of England went to Norway in the 1850/60 period to assist in the building of their railway system. One of my ancestors was a railway engineer. He is missing from the census and then turns up again with a son born in Norway in 1860 and a Norwegian wife. I can't trace their marriage certificate - probably in Norway and can't, therefore trace her maiden name.

Procat
27-07-2008, 6:57 AM
Were there any other children born in England? If there are, the birth certificate will record the name of the mother.

Sue Mackay
27-07-2008, 9:06 AM
Does anyone know if any railway engineers from the North of England went to Norway in the 1850/60 period to assist in the building of their railway system. One of my ancestors was a railway engineer. He is missing from the census and then turns up again with a son born in Norway in 1860 and a Norwegian wife. I can't trace their marriage certificate - probably in Norway and can't, therefore trace her maiden name.

I have no particular knowledge, but railway buff hubby says it is highly likely. Britain had large numbers of trained railway engineers and the network over here was largely built, whereas other countries were just building their network and needed expertise.

wharton21
28-07-2008, 12:53 PM
One of my great ... great uncles went to Sweden to help surpervise the building and running of a railway.

David

websterbfc
28-07-2008, 1:16 PM
this website may be of some help, it has digitalised parish records and census for norway
http://
digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar&spraak=e National Archives of Norway