PDA

View Full Version : Why was he here?

billysax
25-07-2008, 7:06 PM
A branch of my family were from Fordington, Dorchester. Whilst searching for various offshoots, I came across something which puzzles me.
Lot Coombs and his family, in 1881, reside at Mill St. Fordington. The only one missing is John Coombs b 1873.parents and siblings all present and correct. Further search finds John in the Dorchester Union Workhouse. He is recorded as a pauper and a scholar. What does this mean ? Was the Union Workhouse akin to a boarding school of sorts ?
I can't find John for certain in the later censuses. |help|

Jan1954
25-07-2008, 8:40 PM
Hello,

Are you sure that the John Coombs in the workhouse is the same one that you are looking for?

I ask, as there seem to be a few Coombs there, so they may be a different family:

Bessie COOMBS 3 F Pauper b Dorchester, Dorset
George COOMBS 6 M Pauper Scholar b Frome Vanchurch, Dorset
Jane COOMBS U 26 F Pauper Washerwoman b Maiden Newton, Dorset
John COOMBS 8 M Pauper Scholar b Dorchester, Dorset
Samuel COOMBS U 53 M Pauper Carpenter b Fordington, Dorset

Procat
25-07-2008, 11:15 PM
For lots of information on the workhouse see workhouses.org.uk

Peter Goodey
26-07-2008, 6:45 AM
As Jan has pointed out, John's birthplace doesn't tie up. Could Samuel be one of yours?

Unfortunately, few records of Dorchester Union appear to have survived.

billysax
26-07-2008, 9:15 AM
Maybe I've not looked properly at this "offshoot"". I saw he was not at home in 1881, saw John Coombs (8) in the workhouse and assumed it was him. Lesson to be learned here I think. As I can't yet find him in later censuses, perhaps he died, I'll look at BMD. Thanks for your help and advice, if I find him I'll let you know. :confused:

Jan1954
26-07-2008, 9:19 AM
I saw he was not at home in 1881, saw John Coombs (8) in the workhouse and assumed it was him. Easy to do
Lesson to be learned here I think. Do not worry - I think that most of us have been there at some point or another.
As I can't yet find him in later censuses, perhaps he died, I'll look at BMD. Thanks for your help and advice, if I find him I'll let you know. :confused: You are welcome. Thanks - we would be interested in any update. :)

Jan1954
26-07-2008, 9:52 AM
I have done a bit of digging and found that there were two John Coombs' whose births were registered in 1873:

Jan to March, Dorchester
John Coombs Volume 5a, page 352
John James Coombs Volume 5a, page 356

I then found this death:
John James Coombs
Jan to March, 1873, Dorchester District
Volume 5a, page 231 aged 0

I hope that this helps.

billysax
26-07-2008, 3:23 PM
I'll send for both birth certificates and see where that takes me. I am, however, beginning to wonder if he's one of mine after all ! Done in the early part of my research, can't remember how he got in there. I've looked at other trees featuring the family of Lot Coombs and ther's no John, Ah well, it's only money !

billysax
26-07-2008, 3:35 PM
STOP PRESS. Just looked on IGI and found John James Coombs christened 21/3/1873 St George Fordington, Father - Lot Coombs, Mother- Mary.
It's only a submitted record I know, but it seems to answer the question. What to do now ? :confused:

Jan1954
26-07-2008, 3:41 PM
STOP PRESS. Just looked on IGI and found John James Coombs christened 21/3/1873 St George Fordington, Father - Lot Coombs, Mother- Mary.
It's only a submitted record I know, but it seems to answer the question. What to do now ? :confused:If you want to make sure, then you need to order the certificate.

The birth certificate reference is in my earlier post: 1873, Jan to March, Dorchester District, John James Coombs, Volume 5a, page 356.

The death certificate should also confirm that this is the same baby: John James Coombs, Jan to March, 1873, Dorchester District, Volume 5a, page 231

Certificates may be ordered online from the GRO (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/). Follow the links in the box on the right-hand side.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. :D

susan-y
26-07-2008, 5:39 PM
Hi...

I once couldn't find my grandfather with his parents on the census when he should have been as he was just little, but his mother had just had a new baby so he was at his grandparents on the census:D....have you checked the grandparents?

Sometimes we miss the simple solutions;)

Have a good weekend!

Sue

billysax
01-08-2008, 1:38 PM
John James Coombs was one of mine. Received both certificates today.

John James Coombs b 24th February 1873, Fordington, Father Lot Coombs, Mother Mary Coombs formerly Blandimore. Informant Mary Coombs + her mark.

John James Coombs died 24th March 1873 ,aged 1 month, Mill Street Fordington. Cause of death - Syphilis. + The mark of Mary Coombs, present at death.

Wasn't quite prepared for him dying of Syphilis !! Can't help feeling a sense of pity for the child , plus a little family shame. |blush|

Jan1954
02-08-2008, 3:55 PM
Hello Billy,

Thank you for the update. A bit of a shock, eh? Poor little mite would have picked it up from his mother in the womb.

However, it was believed that up to 15% of the population in Britain suffered from syphilis in the 19th century. Mercury was used to treat it, amongst other things.

Good luck with the rest of the research.

billysax
11-08-2008, 7:03 PM
The Coombs family had a son born and died in 1874. After finding what John James died from I hoped it was not from the same disease. His death certificate shows _ Robert Coombs born 1874 died 16th April 1874 aged 5 weeks. Cause of death :- Premature birth, Anaemia, Exhaustion.
Relief of sorts, pity mostly.