PDA

View Full Version : engelhart ontario

tony bennett
25-07-2008, 4:00 PM
my grandparents emigrated to englehart ontario in 1910 and returned to England in 1916. there names are or i should say were george stevens and ethel stevens he was working as a raiway engineer. grans sister was named clara and she was married to benjamin fred smith. i wonder if they would have been listed in the 1911 census. would anyone be able to help please???
thanks tony

Mary Anne
25-07-2008, 5:03 PM
Tony

Look on Automated Genealogy http://automatedgenalogy.com

In 1911, there are some George STEVENS but they seem not be married to an Ethel... and none of them seem to be in Temiskaming District, which is where Englehart is). Having said that, I did not explore all the spelling variants, like "Stephens" or where there was a question mark "Stevens?", so you might want to take a closer look. You can filter by first name and also by birthdate/age.

Good luck

Mary Anne

BeeJay
26-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Hi Tony:

In the 1911 census Englehart was in Ontario, Nipissing District, Enumeration district # 96. There are 14 pages for the town of Englehart and I looked through them all but I didn’t find George or Ethel. I found these Smiths on page 4:

Benjamin Smith, born Nov. 1874 in England, immigrated in 1908, electrician, Anglican
Clara Smith, born Oct 1874 in England, immigrated in 1908, Anglican
Benjamin Smith, born June 1898 in England, Methodist

Is it possible your grandparents immigrated in 1911 or later? Have you found them on a passenger list?

:)

Mary Anne
26-07-2008, 1:39 AM
Oooops, I guess Englehart is in Temiskaming NOW (as my recent book said...:o) but not in 1911... I can't keep up.

BeeJay
26-07-2008, 2:00 AM
I found a George Stevens (born 1884) and Ethel Stevens (born 1885) travelling together from Liverpool to Quebec in 1912. Do these birthdates match your grandparents?

BeeJay
26-07-2008, 2:02 AM
Oooops, I guess Englehart is in Temiskaming NOW (as my recent book said...:o) but not in 1911... I can't keep up.

I'd never even heard of Englehart so it's a good geography lesson! :)

susan-y
26-07-2008, 3:47 AM
I'd never even heard of Englehart so it's a good geography lesson! :)

BeeJay.
.its very ner New Liskeard....north of North Bay...... Great in the summer cold in the winter.....great farmland.

sue

tony bennett
26-07-2008, 6:30 AM
bee jay yes thanks a lot these dates match my grandparents perfectly. i suppose there is no chance that you could send me a copy of this passenger list Please??????

tony bennett
26-07-2008, 6:43 AM
bee jay you are a gem these are my great aunt and uncle would it be possible for you to send me a copy of the 1911 census sheet which shows them or if this is against the law transcribe it for me please thanks for all your help Tony

BeeJay
26-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi Tony:

I can send the census page but the LAC website seems to be down today, that's where passenger lists are.

BeeJay.
.its very ner New Liskeard....north of North Bay...... Great in the summer cold in the winter.....great farmland.
sue

Thanks Susan, that's not where I thought it was!
I had a look at a map just now - there's a little town nearby with the wonderful name of 'Shining Tree!' It looks like a beautiful area.

BeeJay
29-07-2008, 1:20 AM
Tony,
I found your grandparents going to Canada on the Canada in September 1912. I'll email the page to you! :)