PDA

View Full Version : Wellesley Jackson b.1880

PhatDad
24-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi,

I am trying to trace my great, great uncle who emmigrated to Canada some time at the start of 1900.

A member on here has sent me a link to a couple of census pages however I'm struggling to read them and wondered if anyone else had more luck.

Would you be able to look into what ever records are available to Canadians for a Wellesley Jackson, b. 1880 Derby, Derbyshire, England.

His father was Alfred Jackson, b.1857 BURTON-ON-TRENT Staffordshire England, d.1920

Mother was Emma Jackson , b.1858 Derbyshire England

The first census page sent to me was found here, Census > 1911 Census of Canada > Saskatchewan > Battleford > Sub-District 2 > Page 5

the second is found here

Census > 1906 Canada Census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta > Saskatchewan > Assiniboia West > Sub-District 37D > Page 17

I don't have a Ancestry subscription at the moment so can't even view the text displayed when you find these pages.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ian

PhatDad
24-07-2008, 10:57 PM
sorry, this was meant for the Canadian forum. Could a moderator move it over please?

Mutley
24-07-2008, 11:01 PM
It's on it's way,

Canada, CATCH IT;)

greann
24-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi Ian,
I found a W.R. Jackson in the 1911 Canadian census living in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Immigration year 1893.
Married to I. Jackson age 23 and a daughter Alice I. Jackson age 11 months.
Ann

Keewatin
25-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Here is the page (I think) that you were given for the 1911 census from automatedgenealogy.com which is free to search: images are also free to download. Click on "split view" and you will get the image.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=39382&highlight=8

I dont think it is your Jackson

automatedgenealogy.com also has the 1906 census of the Prairie provinces. I looked at Jackson in Assiniboia West.There's only one family and its a big family headed by a J Jackson, widower, aged 55. That page doesn't seem to want to link
Keewatin

Keewatin
25-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Forgot to add: can't see any Wellesley Jackson at all . Looked for Wesley but nothing seemed suitable.
Could he have used another forename?

greann
25-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Hi Ian,
I had a look around......... Was your man not born George Wellesley Jackson?
There are a few possibilities. Will have a look and get back to you.
Ann

greann
25-07-2008, 12:44 AM
It's me again Ian,
I found a George Jackson in the 1911 census. Immigration year 1904. He was apparently living with an aunt and uncle by the name J.P. and A Clark.
Vancouver, BC. After having a quick glance around it seems you do did have some Clarks in the family who married into the Johnson family. Of course this may not be your man, but it is a possibility.
Ann

PhatDad
25-07-2008, 8:05 AM
Thanks everyone for the help.

I thought I had more information for him but I've not done any research for quite a while due to life, work, University, family all wanting my time. In the UK 1901 census I have

Name: Wellesley Jackson
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Relation: Servant
Household: View other family members
Where born: Alvaston, Derbyshire, England

Civil parish: Bradford
Ecclesiatical parish: Christchurch
County/Island: Yorkshire

He's actually a Cellerman / Barman at the Midland Hotel - Cheapside

And that is the last time I see him. He is listed in an earlier census as Wellsley and there may have been a different spelling on another one too. I'm not sure if he moved there alone or not but from what I can gather from the relative I spoke to that remembered him he was the only one that moved to Canada so he would be the head. I'd love to find more about him as he's the only one from that part of the family that I know relatively little about.

Is there any more information you require? I'm away for a long weekend so won't be able to get back to you till Monday/Tuesday.

Ian