PDA

View Full Version : Birth records

deniroc
23-07-2008, 7:32 PM
Hi, Im in search of birth records for my dad we do have his baptism certificate which is registered in the General Register Office london.
His name is Leslie Lionel Bousten Rockley...He was born in secunderabad, Hyderabad, India in 1931

I wrote to them this is the response I got:

Dear Ms Rockley,

I am not sure if this was made clear to you earlier but birth registration was not a legal requirement in British India. Therefore what we have on file are mostly baptisms for European Christians who were based in India prior to 15th August 1947. I can appreciate your desire to locate the birth registration for Leslie Rockley as such documents normally indicate whether the parents were British, where as the baptism document clearly does not provide such detail. Many people who were born overseas are facing this same problem as your relative, i.e. they are unable to obtain documents that prove they were born to British parents.

ChristineR
24-07-2008, 1:06 AM
That sounds like you already have the only documentation of his birth, the baptism record.

Jan1954
26-07-2008, 3:58 PM
Deniroc,

See my reply (post #9) on this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32001). I don't know if it is of any help, but...

deniroc
26-07-2008, 6:37 PM
Thank you Jan that post has really helped|hug|

georgeinmalawi
07-01-2012, 2:17 PM
Thants the responce I got too for my queries. I visited the Indian Embassy in London and this is quite right. The community and Goverments world wide accept the Baptisim Cert as a Birth Cert.

Regards

George