PDA

View Full Version : Would road accident death in Croydon in 1929 be in paper?

A Lee
23-07-2008, 11:43 AM
I have just received the death certificate of one of my relatives and to quote he died from "haemorrhage and shock due to being run over by a motor lorry driven by Albert Standing (misadventure) P.M."

He was called Harold Ormonde Hammant and died 29th April 1929 in Purley Memorial Hospital, Croydon. Aged 27. An inquest was held 4th April 1929.

Would this have been in a newspaper. Would Mr Standing have been likely to face criminal charges for causing someones death?

Many thanks

Alison

Procat
23-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi Alison,

I think there would be a very good chance it would be recorded in The Times. If not there certainly in a local paper.

Unfortunately my access to the online version of The Times lapsed yesterday. There is currently a free search (http://archive.timesonline.co.uk/tol/archive/) ability available for a limited time.

brianb
23-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Tried the Times and London Gazzette , sorry, no luck yet.

Brian

A Lee
23-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks so much Doug|hug| I'll look into that.

Alison

Jan1954
23-07-2008, 4:50 PM
Hello Alison,

My great uncle was killed in a motorbike accident when he collided with a lorry in 1931.

This happened in Kent but Harry came from Hertfordshire.

I have a copy of the full write-up of both the accident details and the inquest - quite a large column - from the Herts Advertiser, followed by a full report of his funeral, also in the Herts Advertiser.

I have not explored the possibility of newspaper reports in the local Kent newspaper, which would need to cover Larkfield, but this is on my "to-do" list for when I venture next into Kent.

So, it could be worth checking both the local newspaper for where the accident happened, as well as that for where your Harold lived, if different.

A Lee
23-07-2008, 7:27 PM
Thanks for the advice Jan.:D

Thank you for your efforts Brian, our last messages must have overlapped:D

Alison

A Lee
23-07-2008, 7:33 PM
My next question: If it was not in one of the 'big' papers, what local publication would have been in the Croydon area? How do I go about accessing it?

many thanks
Alison

Jan1954
23-07-2008, 7:38 PM
My next question: If it was not in one of the 'big' papers, what local publication would have been in the Croydon area? How do I go about accessing it?

many thanks
Alison
Try Croydon Online (http://www.croydononline.org/history/genealogy/newspapers.asp). They list all newspapers that either currently cover or used to cover Croydon.

Click on the links under the heading "Local Newspapers".

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. ;)

Peter Goodey
23-07-2008, 7:49 PM
IWould Mr Standing have been likely to face criminal charges for causing someones death?

No because the verdict was misadventure in other words it was just an accident.

For local papers, find the newspaper catalogue on the British Library website. This allows you to determine which newspapers served Croydon in 1931.

A Lee
23-07-2008, 7:51 PM
Thank you all so much for your helpful advice:D

Alison

Thomasin
23-07-2008, 8:34 PM
It would probably be either the Croydon Advertiser or the Croydon Times.

A Lee
23-07-2008, 8:49 PM

I have been looking at some of these sites and it appears there is a substantial fee for a search. There is no way I can get to Croydon at the moment to look in person. Are there any other options that I am not aware of? There appear to be some websites that hold archives for a fee. Are these worthwhile?

many thanks. You have all been so helpful!

Alison

Procat
24-07-2008, 8:14 AM
In Australia the major libraries hold a range of newspapers from across the nation on microfilm.

Might be worth following up in your area to see if there is anything similar.

A Lee
24-07-2008, 8:47 AM
I'll check that, thanks Doug:D