PDA

View Full Version : Measham-Leicester/Derbyshire

Junekw
22-07-2008, 2:46 PM
In 1895 Measham was in Derbyshire but tends to swap counties to Leicestershire from time to time.

I am looking for "Mona Cottage", Measham, Atherstone, Derbyshire. This is the address on the marriage certificate for my partners Grandmother, Annie Louisa Jackson in 1895.

Does this address mean anything to anyone? Has anyone got an elderly relative who would know where Mona Cottage was as it doesn't seem to exist anywhere anymore and we can't find any records of it.

Thank you. June

Mutley
22-07-2008, 3:13 PM
June,
I am just adding the link here (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=178398&posted=1#post178398)
to the same question you asked on the Derbyshire forum just in case someone finds it for you and posts it there.

Please check the link before you reply.;)

Rachie
22-07-2008, 11:30 PM
In 1895 Measham was in Derbyshire but tends to swap counties to Leicestershire from time to time.

I am looking for "Mona Cottage", Measham, Atherstone, Derbyshire. This is the address on the marriage certificate for my partners Grandmother, Annie Louisa Jackson in 1895.

Does this address mean anything to anyone? Has anyone got an elderly relative who would know where Mona Cottage was as it doesn't seem to exist anywhere anymore and we can't find any records of it.

Thank you. June

is it possible its Moira cottage? there is a Moira rd in Measham, also Moira and Measham are very close together.

Junekw
24-07-2008, 7:07 AM
Rachie,

Thank you very much for that suggestion. I have checked the cert, it definitely says "Mona" but it could very well be an error. I am going to check the 1891 census for Moira Rd and see if that reveals anything.

June

Prof
27-07-2008, 6:59 AM
June

Was Jackson her maiden or married name?.. Also I'm not sure why Atherstone would be on the wed cert as that is in Warwickshire. The nearest administrative town for Measham would be Ashby de la Zouch.

Regards

Mick

Junekw
28-07-2008, 7:31 AM
Hi Mick,

Jackson was her maiden name, she married Thomas Divine in Stockport, Cheshire, not sure how she ended up in Stockport as I can't find her in the 1891 census. (Poss in service.)
Her Father, Walter was born in Kenilworth, Warickshire in 1843 and by 1851 was living in Measham and then spent most of his life in Measham and the census returns state Ashby de la Zouch as the registration district.
We looked on a map and saw that Atherstone is in Warwickshire and thought it must have been one of these boundary changes between Counties as over the years Measham has been recorded in Derbyshire and Leicestershire and does look close to the border of Warwickshire.

June

Prof
29-07-2008, 5:58 AM
Hi June

I've been taking a quick look and presumably you have already found Walter and his wife Sarah living in Measham in the 1871, 81 & 91 census reports. In case you haven't here are the refs;

1871 - Rg10/3243/26/9
1881 - RG11/3137/118/16
1891 - RG12/2508/100/13

The first of those they were living with Sarah's mother (also Sarah) at Cross Lane. Measham which no longer seems to exist. The other two they were living at either no10 or 11 Swepstone Road which part of must have been renamed Leicester Road at some point as the descriptions of the 81 & 91 census seems to indicate it used to join on to High Street, very near to the Swan Inn.

Like you I couldn't find Annie in the 91 report, but did find her living with her uncle at Kirkby Mallory in 81. Now assuming she was in service around 91-95 and returned home just prior to marrying in 1895, it's probable the address given is in fact Swepstone Road as Kelly's Directory for Derbyshire 1895 still has Walter working there, before he moved to Milwich to live with his sister and brother-in-law, Charles Dix.

What you really need is an old map of Measham, you could perhaps try the library at Ashby de la zouch,

http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/community/libraries/ashby_library.htm

or posting your question on the Leicestershire Villages website which is monitored by the country records office at Wigston,

http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/hathern/history-forum.html

Regards

Mick

Junekw
29-07-2008, 7:54 AM
Hi Mick,

Thank you for all the great information.

I do already have Walter and Sarah thank you and Charles and Harriet, Walters parents. Thank you for taking the time to include them.

Your knowledgable information is very helpful, I will contact the library and post the question on the site you suggest.

Thanks again.

June