PDA

View Full Version : Signatures on marriage certificates

June Welsby
05-01-2005, 10:46 PM
My husband's grandfather left the family home when my husband's father was a toddler and went to live with his "secretary". We have recently found out that he could have married the "secretary" while still married. (In other words he commited bigamy) We have found a marriage certifcate for who we think is the grandfather, marrying in a place where the family frequented, his name is the same, profession the same, the differences being the age is 10 years younger, birth of place Ireland instead of Lancashire, father is different although in the name of the brother, profession the same. In the Society of Veterinary Surgeons there is only one person by this name. We would like to be able to compare the signatures between the first marriage certificate, which we have, and the second. Is there some way we can find out if this is the same person. As far as I am aware he was not found out by the authorities. He died in London and we have the death certificate, giving the correct information. Where do you think we should go from here?
June Welsby

Peter Goodey
05-01-2005, 11:13 PM
As I understand it - and someone will probably tell me I'm wrong - if the first certificate which you have is an original issued at the time of ceremony it may carry his actual signature.So far as the second is concerned, I think you'd have to approach the relevant records office for a photocopy of the entry in the parish register...if it was indeed in a church (you don't say).

June Welsby
28-12-2005, 5:56 AM
Sorry I have taken so long to reply to some messages, other activities have taken over. Recently I found out that Joseph Randolph Welsby was caught for bigamy and sentenced to 12 mths hard labour in 1919. From this "marriage" there was a son born in Taunton. Joseph's first marriage was in a church and so was the '2nd marriage'. I have both marriage certificates and neither of them have his actual signature on. These certificates came from FRC. Do I have to look at the parish registers for the actual certificates? I live in Australia so am unable to get to England to view these. What do I do next?
June Welsby

Guy Etchells
28-12-2005, 8:51 AM
You have three options since the marriage was after 1837.
1) Apply to the CRO for a photocopy of the original entry in the marriage register.
2) Apply to the Diocese Archives for a photocopy of the original register entry.
3) Apply for a microfilm /fiche copy of the register.
See my web site at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~framland/acts/csf.htm

There were two marriage registers filled in and signed at the time of the marriage one went to the civil authorities when filled and is retained by the Superintendent Registrar (CRO) the other stayed with the church and when filled may have stayed at the church or be retained at the Diocese archives (often the county record office, but not necessarily in the same county as the church).
Cheers
Guy