PDA

View Full Version : Workhouse Info/Brickwall

wendandmerlin
21-07-2008, 9:18 PM
Hi

Just want to say what an amazing, informative website! Everyone seems so helpful and friendly too

I have a query I need some help with please:
My grandfather Reginald John Smith was born on 2 January 1912 at Twyford Lodge, Willesden to a Rose Smith, (General Domestic Servant at 75 Craven Park Rd, Willesden) the father's name is not listed. I have recently found out that Twyford Lodge was a "polite" way of saying The Workhouse!

However, I cannot get any further as I do not have Rose Smith's date of birth. I've located details for a Rose Smith in BMD (born 1895, in Willesden)and when I check on the 1901 census her family is also listed - but I don't know if this is definately the Rose Smith I am connected to.

I wondered if I could access the Workhouse records for 1912 to see if it gives Rose's date of birth? Is this sort of info listed? Also, is it possible she wasn't admitted to the workhouse but just had her baby there?

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated as I have hit a brick wall and I'm sure you're well aware how frustrating this is - |banghead|

Many thanks
W

Jan1954
21-07-2008, 9:42 PM
Hello,

If you visit Peter Higginbotham's website (workhouses.org.uk), enter Willesden in the search box in the top left-hand corner. A whole raft of information comes up, including details of it also being an infirmary.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see that the Admissions and discharges (1911-47) are held at the London Metropolitan Archives.

I hope that this helps.

Stacyleigh
16-11-2008, 7:27 PM
Did you try to order his birth certificate with the information you have? Maybe his father's name would be listed there? Or you may find out more about the "informant"??

Marie C..
16-11-2008, 7:30 PM
Jan, your link comes up on my computer as saying"you are not authorised to view this site". M

benny1982
16-11-2008, 8:05 PM
Hi

Having had a lot of experience with workhouse records myself, the admission registers dont normally give the date of birth however they do usually give either the year of birth or the age at admission, which can help pinpoint the year of birth, providing the age given is correct. Finding a Smith is very hard to do but the admission registers may also state what street she lived at before entering the workhouse so you can cross reference that against electoral rolls, census records etc to see if there were any other Smiths at that address.

Ben

Jan1954
16-11-2008, 8:26 PM
Jan, your link comes up on my computer as saying"you are not authorised to view this site". MAha! It was doing the same to me earlier today ;)

I then downloaded a different browser and I can now access it. Will send you a PM.

Peter Goodey
16-11-2008, 8:28 PM
Wendy

I would suggest that what you need is, initially, the admission and discharge registers of the infirmary (not the workhouse).

Records are at the London Metropolitan Archives.

There is a very small outside chance that there might be some surviving clinical records but you would have to ask the Central Middlesex Hospital.