PDA

View Full Version : James Rolph

taniav
21-07-2008, 4:12 PM
James Rolph was christened 23 Oct 1836 St Pauls Walden
Is on the 1841-61 Census with parents & then with wife.
However in 1871 Census he had disappeared there was a lodger living with Harriett Moss who she then seemed to have a couple more children with.

But in the 1871 Cenus James Rolph is nowhere to be found and nor can I find a death record, Harriett is not listed as a widow in the Census' neither does she seem to have ever married George Wells, The Lodger!
But in 1901 she does seem to be looking after his elderly father whilst he is off in London!!
Scandal in the family no doubt!
But where did James go.......?

colashbury
25-07-2008, 1:23 PM
There is a James Rolph listed in the American 1880 census married to Issabella Rolph.They have 2 kids but under the name of Mcpherren.Maybe he went over that way and married again.Her previous name must have been the kids name.Unusual name and even more to be spelt like that.There are a few different ways of spelling it,but the one that I have found is the same spelling as you have it....Colin|wave|

taniav
28-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks Colin
Have had a look on ancestry and there seems to be a James Rolph on the New York Passenger list with the right birth year, unfortunately I don't have worldwide access so no way of confirming this but it seems that this could be what happened.
Tan