PDA

View Full Version : William Vickers & Alice Hydon

ostler
21-07-2008, 3:33 PM
William Henry Vickers was born c.1875.

He died in his forties, had chronic asthma and rarely worked. Also had "dropsy", legs swollen with fluid. After having a "tap" inserted to remove the fluids, he decided enough was enough and was left to die. My grandmother says he died when her mother was 16, so that would mean c.1922. This is him in the 1901 census, Warwickshire: William H Vickers, age 26, approx year of birth 1875, relation Head, spouse Alice, born in Warwick, where born ? civil parish, Leamington Priors, Ecclesiastical Parish St Marys, Occ Coal Carter, children: Gladys (2) William H (2), born Warwick, abode 1 Railway Terrace, Warwick.

He married Alice Hydon in 1899 in Warwick.

Possible death:

Deaths Jun 1922
Vickers William H 47 Warwick Vol 6d p. 799

Possibly his wife, Alice Hydon:

Birth from FreeBMD: Alice HYDON Sep 1874 Warwick 6d 563. Father Charles Hydon, mother Mary A Hydon? From Warwickshire Ancestors Project: Alice Hydon,Servnt,S,,16,General Servant,,Warwick Warwickshire,,
Folio 21 Page 8 Enumeration District 16

Civil Parish of St Mary, Eccl. District of St Mary Warwickshire Ancestors Project — 1891
Transcript of Piece RG12/2468.

My grandmother said she was 12 when Alice died, which would mean c1938.

Basically I don't know where to go from here, as I don't have their death dates so can't order their death certificates or anything. Any hints or suggestions?

salcat
21-07-2008, 4:03 PM
Ostler, are you wanting to go back and find their parents etc, or are you looking to come forwards in time?

You seen to have quite a few of the references needed to order certificates from the GRO - you don't need the actual date of the event, and you can order online at £7 each.

The death certificate for William would be interesting, but marriage and birth certificates give more genealogical information.

If you don't have it, the ref for their marriage is

Marriages Mar 1899 Warwick 6d 710

These are the people on the page
Halford Fanny
Hydon Alice
Vickers William
Whymark Arthur Edward

This certificate would give their ages, occupations, addresses, father's names and occupations. This then gives you enough info to go back in the censuses to find them as children. Then their birth certificates will give you their mother's maiden name and you can go back another generation and so on until you get back to 1837 (when civil registration started). After that (before that!) you need to look at the parish registers.

I live in Warwick, so maybe I can help out if you need local info or things looking up. (Going on holiday soon for a couple of weeks though)

Hope this helps

Sally

ostler
28-07-2008, 6:13 AM
Thanks, Sally. I've managed to order what I think is William's death certificate, and I think I ordered their marriage cert, too. I can't remember now. =P Thanks for the heads up, though, and I will use your route if possible. Also thanks for the offer for looking up stuff in Warwick... it could be quite handy. I was there earlier this month and wished I had more time. I may need to take you up on your offer. ;)

ostler
28-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I got the death certificate for William Henry Vickers d.1922; I'm convinced it's him. My gran says he died when her mum was 16, which would mean 1922. They lived in Linen Street in Warwick. He died as a result of asthma while in his forties and lived next door to the Moon family. This is what my gran said, and it's what's on the death certificate. :)

So the next plan of action should be the marriage certificate, I assume?

HydonFamily
27-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi Ostler, I came across this thread when i typed my surname Hydon into google. I have been researching my family tree for almost a year now and have leaned quite a lot about them. There are two main branches of Hydons in Birmingham/Warwickshire area that we link to. Both lines contain a marriage between a Charles Hydon and a Mary Ann.
Charles Hydon a bricklayer's labourer married Mary Ann Parsons. They had a number of children, one of which was called Charles John Hydon, born 2nd April, 1871 at 114/14?? Factory Yard, Warwick.
The other Charles Hydon, aged 21 yrs, bricklayer married Mary Ann Lively or Lisely aged 21 yrs, October 13th 1872. The address on their marriage certificate is New Buildings, Warwick.
We haven't come across an Alice Hydon as yet, but would be interested to see if there is a connection.
Good luck in your search.
Chrissie and Keeley.

ostler
01-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks for your message

No one seems to have Alice on their family trees... she's an elusive one. I have a picture if you would like to see it.

HydonFamily
06-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Yes please, that would be wonderful!!

ostler
08-09-2008, 7:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/eternalidol/AliceVickersneHydon.jpg
Here she is!

HydonFamily
08-09-2008, 7:24 PM
Thank you so much for the picture. I definitely feel there is a resemblance to members of my family. Have you received Alice and Williams marriage certificate yet? If so, can you please tell me all the info on this certificate, including witnesses, because so far I have had great success with the names of witnesses and learning new and relevant info. I am quite sure that somehow I am related to Alice, and therefore related to you too!! :)

HydonFamily
08-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi Ostle, I'm not sure if you already know this, but I found the below info on ancestry.co.uk:
1901 census William H Vickers, 26, coal carter, Alice Vickers, 26, no occ listed. Their children, both aged 2 years old, so twins- William H jnr and Gladys. Living at number 1 railway terrace, Leamington Priors, Warwick. Hope this of use to you. Speak soon.

ostler
15-09-2008, 8:27 AM
I haven't yet got the marriage certificate, but I shall order it today. And yes I saw that 1901 census return... although I have birth results for William H Jnr and Gladys saying different; William was born 1899 and Gladys was born 1901. It's by no means the first time I've seen wrong ages on a census, though. :)

ostler
23-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey HydonFamily, I got the marriage certificate of William Vickers and Alice Hydon. Alice's father was indeed Charles Hydon! He was a Labourer. I suppose there's still a slim chance that this is another Charles Hydon...

ostler
23-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh yes, the witnesses, I forgot to mention that. The witnesses were Charles and Ellen Hydon.

HydonFamily
24-09-2008, 7:13 PM
Thanks for the info ostler. Yes there are two Charles Hydon's, both married to a Mary Ann and both living in the Warwickshire area-what are the chances of that eh?!! I have worked out that I am related to both the families in some way, but I have been trying to work out if they are related, possibly cousins?? Maybe both the Charles's are cousins and are named after a granddad?? i'll let you know anything when i find out.

Tonerowlz
14-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi 'Ostler'
I am the son of E... Rowland (nee Vickers) the grandaughter of Alice Hydon & William Henry Vickers (snr) and daughter of William Henry Vickers (jnr) My Mum is very much alive and still living in Warwickshire (Whitnash). Her younger brother and sister also still live in the midlands. She remembers your grandmother (great grandmother?) Ellen as her "Aunt Nell", who she says only died in 2008. She missed the funeral because we had just lost my father ( E...'s husband Norman Rowland) at the time. I'm sure she would very much like to correspond with you (I'm afraid she's not terribly IT literate...yet) She might well be able to fill in a few gaps over who married who etc. If you can e-mail me at tonerowlz5 AT supanet DOT com I will let you have her address.

ostler
14-09-2010, 4:41 PM
Hi Tonerowlz, you have no idea how excited you've made me. :D I'll be in touch very soon!