PDA

View Full Version : Mystery cousin in Newcastle-on-Tyne

cdnsctgirl
05-01-2005, 8:05 PM
When I was looking up the death registration of my great-great-aunt on Scotland's People, I stumbled across a cousin I'd never even heard of before. My great-great-aunt's name was Margaret Kinnemunth HORNE, and she died in 1923 in Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland. Her death was registered by her cousin (and presumably a distant cousin of mine as well), a Mary Forster WOOD, who was living at 2 Linden Terrace, Newcastle-on-Tyne at the time. I have no idea if WOOD is a married or maiden name. I'm assuming that she is from Margaret HORNE's mother's side of the family (STAFFORDs of Berwick-upon-Tweed), since most of her father's side of the family went to Canada or died young.

I have no idea where to look. I have tried the IGI, but I really don't know what I'm looking for. Since I have an address, can anyone suggest where I might look to get some more information?

Thanks!

Geoffers
06-01-2005, 8:29 AM
When I was looking up the death registration of my great-great-aunt on Scotland's People, I stumbled across a cousin I'd never even heard of before. My great-great-aunt's name was Margaret Kinnemunth HORNE, and she died in 1923 in Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland. Her death was registered by her cousin....Mary Forster WOOD, who was living at 2 Linden Terrace, Newcastle-on-Tyne at the time.
Presumably Mary Wood was quite close to Margaret Horne - have you tried searching for a will for Margaret Horne in case it mentions further detail on the cousin's family?

Also, see if there is a Post Office Directory from the early 1920's and look up the address for Mary Wood. If it a man's name then it is possible that she was married and the man may be her husband.

Being a cousin of your dead aunt, they may have been roughly similar in age. In which case Mary Wood may show up in the 1901 census and this will show her marital status and age.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

cdnsctgirl
11-01-2005, 4:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I had a look at one site of Scottish wills, but there was nothing relating to my HORNE relative there. I found her in the 1891 and 1901 censuses, and there was no occupation listed. She never married, and if she didn't work, it seems highly unlikely she had anything to leave to anyone.

I'm in Canada, so I don't have easy access to old postal directories in the UK. The closest I could come for looking up the address was the 1901 census, but the family living at 2 Linden Terrace in 1901 didn't seem to be connected at all (22 years is quite a while, after all... the WOODs probably moved in later).

As for Mary WOOD's age, she might be older than Margaret HORNE's 68, or younger (judging by the ages of Margaret's aunts and uncles... there was a fairly large spread). And without knowing if WOOD is a married name, I'm kind of stuck. :(

Patsy Norman
03-08-2011, 9:29 AM
A lot of my genealogy in the early days happened in Newcastle upon Tyne Public Library they have a family History Room and They have electoral rolls perhaps if you looked up them also if you look up Genuki for Newcastle upon Tyne it may list other places you could try................in Newcastle as Genealogy is well covered also there is a Northumberland and Durham Family History Society ie: NDFHS you could look on line for other help ........Hope this helps .......Patsy Norman nee Quinn

Bertie
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
A suggestion (works only for E&W up until c1909): type in Mary Forster as the First Names and leave surname blank. There are only a few that come up, and some are in the north-east. Are any of those surnames (possibly) connected to your tree at all?

If so, we can help to narrow things down a bit

Also - have you ID'd poss or likely Mary WOODs in 1911? For example I note there is a Mary Foster WOOD in Lanchester, Durham age 43, born 1868 (which makes her a close contemporary of your rellie) [btw a Mary F WOOD died Q4 1949 age 82 in Durham NW - b.c. 1867: same person?]. It would be worth looking up that record for the full household details - e.g. whether married, place of birth etc.

cdnsctgirl
08-08-2011, 5:32 PM
Wow... this thread is old!

As far as I can tell, Mary Forster WOOD was actually the wife of the aforementioned cousin. Her maiden name was Mary Forster TENNANT; she became a WOOD when she married Mark Stafford WOOD (he was the first cousin of Margaret Kinnemunth HORNE). No idea when they were married, though it was probably around 1890 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Bertie
09-08-2011, 5:19 AM
Are you still looking for information?

The marriage was Q3 1891 Newcastle