PDA

View Full Version : Boys Orphanage, Lewisham

lorraineosborne
20-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Does anyone know anything about this? I am trying to find out about a John Smith who went there about 1920 when he was 4 years old.
lorraine Osborne

michaelpipe
21-07-2008, 1:57 AM
Hi Lorraine,
Several orphanages pop up when Googling. Perhaps you could try emailing these people:

LEWISHAM Local history and archives centre

Lewisham Library (second floor)
199-201 Lewisham High Street
London
SE13 6LG
Telephone 020 8297 0682

Email: local.studies AT lewisham DOT gov DOT uk

Don't forget to change the DOT's & AT!!

Good Luck

Michael

lorraineosborne
22-07-2008, 9:59 PM
Hi Lorraine,
Several orphanages pop up when Googling. Perhaps you could try emailing these people:

LEWISHAM Local history and archives centre

Lewisham Library (second floor)
199-201 Lewisham High Street
London
SE13 6LG
Telephone 020 8297 0682

Email: local.studies AT lewisham DOT gov DOT uk

Don't forget to change the DOT's & AT!!

Good Luck

Michael

Hello Michael
Thank you - I will try e-mailing.
lorraine

lorraineosborne
23-07-2008, 10:45 PM
It's full name was All Saints Orphanage, lewisham.

Lorraine

Mutley
23-07-2008, 11:50 PM
I found this statement:
"In 1883, the Sisterhood obtained a lease of some small houses in Cressingham Rd, Lewisham - the first St John's Hospital, Lewisham. A year later, this building was turned into a district home, and a new hospital was opened at Montague Place, Poplar (finally closed in 1889). Shortly afterwards, this was replaced by the former All Saints' Boys' Orphanage on Morden Hill, Blackheath. Originally named St Stephen's Hospital for Women and Children, this was opened in 1886 as St John's Hospital for Men and Women, and was the location of the Sisters' new training school for nurses."

I don't know if it is the same one, Blackheath and Lewisham are not the same but very near to each other.

I think the records for the above might be held at King's College London, College Archives.

Hopefully, someone will correct me if I am wrong.

lorraineosborne
24-07-2008, 11:29 PM
I found this statement:
"In 1883, the Sisterhood obtained a lease of some small houses in Cressingham Rd, Lewisham - the first St John's Hospital, Lewisham. A year later, this building was turned into a district home, and a new hospital was opened at Montague Place, Poplar (finally closed in 1889). Shortly afterwards, this was replaced by the former All Saints' Boys' Orphanage on Morden Hill, Blackheath. Originally named St Stephen's Hospital for Women and Children, this was opened in 1886 as St John's Hospital for Men and Women, and was the location of the Sisters' new training school for nurses."

I don't know if it is the same one, Blackheath and Lewisham are not the same but very near to each other.

I think the records for the above might be held at King's College London, College Archives.

Hopefully, someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I looked back on my paperwork and it is actually All Saints Boys Orphanage - although I was told Lewisham, it could be the Blackheath one. Is that usual for such records to be held at King's college.

Lorraine