PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Roberts has to be a blood ancestor.

benny1982
20-07-2008, 7:42 PM
Hi

I did post this on the illegitimacy board and had a few doubts, but a few members on here and my mum and cousin all virtually conclude that Thomas Roberts was the official blood father of my great, great grandmother Mary Ann Kate Roberts.

It is obvious that he was probably lovers with Mary Ann Walder while his previous wife was dying of tuberculosis. The babe would have been concieved in April 1863, only 7 months before the fathers wife Esther's death. It has also occurred to me that if Esther died sooner than Nov 1863, Thomas would have married Mary Ann a bit sooner. Mary Ann registered the baby under her name. Thomas had just lost his wife 6 weeks earlier and it was impossible for him to wed Mary Ann just yet because they had the deaths and a birth and a move to London to complete.

I think their behaviour caused a scandal in the village where Mary Ann Walder lived and that is why they moved to London after the baby's birth. I always did wonder why they suddenly moved to London.

Here is the timeline.

The timeline of events is

April 1863, Mary Ann Walder falls pregnant.
July/Aug 1863 she knows she is pregnant.
14 Nov 1863, The fathers wife Esther Roberts dies after some years of phthisis in Brighton.
Dec 1863, Thomas is taking time to grieve and sort out his house.
31 Dec 1863, Mary Ann Walder gives birth to her baby in Warninglid.
Jan 1864, Mary Ann's grandfather, (who she has lived in the same house all her life), John Walder is seriously ill with pneumonia and knee abscess.
28 Jan 1864, Mary Ann Walder registers her baby's birth.
31 Jan 1864, John Walder dies aged 73 in Warninglid.
Feb 1864, John Walder is buried.
Feb 1864, Mary Ann Walder stays at home to grieve and comfort her family after the death of her grandfather. Being the eldest child, she feels obliged to help comfort her family.
March/April 1864, Mary Ann moves to Stoke Newington in North London with Thomas and their baby (workwise, and probably Thos behaviour caused a scandal back in Warninglid)
Circa May 1864, they choose a church to marry at in Stoke Newington.
June 1864, Mary Ann Walder falls pregnant again.
June 1864, they apply to marry at West Hackney Church for a late July wedding.
July 1864, their banns are read.
25 July 1864, (a Monday) Thos Roberts and Mary Ann Walder marry.
September 1864, Mary Ann Roberts finds she is pregnant again.
November 1864, Mary Ann Kate Roberts is baptised aged 10 months "Daughter of Thomas & Mary Ann Roberts".
12 March 1865, Maria Alice Roberts is born.

I wonder if Thomas went to London first then Mary Ann joined him a few weeks later once he had got a dwelling and a job.

Ben