PDA

View Full Version : Gove/Duguid Christieson/Wilson Benson

Al et al
20-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am not sure of the protol of posting so sorry if I make a mistake.

I am researching my husband's family tree. he is from Montrose. His maternal grandparents are David Gove b 30 Jan 1904 and Isabella Wallace Christieson b Upper Dysart 1905.
David Gove's parents: Alexander Gove 1866 and Jane Duguid 1867.
Isabella's - David christieson (son of James C and Helen Wilson) and Rachel wallace (james w and Violet stephen).
Can anyone help me follow up the christieson/wilson and Gove/Duguid lines?

I am also looking for family of Albert Benson born 1874 Leominster, Hereford m Mary Ann reynolds. Family traditions says he was adopted by a Mrs Crump but I have hit a blank wall.

Thanks so much, Alisan

karenf
05-08-2008, 3:16 PM
Hi Alisan
Your Gove family appeared in the 1901 census in Dun(on the road between Brechin and Montrose)
Alexander Gove age 34 Railway porter born Glenbervie, Kincardineshire
Jane Gove, wife, age 34, born Marykirk, Kincardineshire
Daisy Gove, dau, age 13, born Fordoun,Kincardineshire
Charles R Gove, son, age 6, born Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire
Maria A Gove, dau, age 4, born Dun, Forfarshire(now Angus)
Jane Gove, dau, age 2, born Fordoun, Kincardineshire.
Andrew Gove, son, age 1, born Dun, Forfarshire.
the address is Station Cottage, Dun.

In 1881 Alexander Gove is with his parents Alexander b1838, Benholm, Mother, Jane b 1829 Kinneff and sister Maria b1864, Abuthnot, Kincardineshire. The address was in Glenbervie.

My line ties to the Gove's of Johnshaven, Benholm, so I wouldn't be surprised if our lines cross at some point.
Karen

Al et al
06-08-2008, 8:50 PM
Thanks so much for this, Karen.
I have been away for a while but look forward to reading this info more thoroughly and seeing where it takes me.
I look forward to perhaps discovering potential family relationships!

Alisan

Al et al
07-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi Karen
I have some siblings you haven't and you have some I haven't. I have Alexander and jane m 1892 which makes Daisy born out of wedlock. I did not have her on my list but my mother-in-law is a daisy so it makes sense.

so now i have:
daisy abt 1888
jean 1993
charles 1896
maria 1897
Andrew 1899
Jane abt 1899
James 1901
David 1904 (my husband's ancestor)
Elizabeth 1906

his parents are alexander gove and jane clark, though i have not got any further back with eiher of them them. it is good to know alexander is from benholm (not that I know where any of these places are as we live in africa but it helps when llooking at records, of course).

thanks again, alisan

ChristineR
07-08-2008, 12:43 PM
I am also looking for family of Albert Benson born 1874 Leominster, Hereford m Mary Ann reynolds. Family traditions says he was adopted by a Mrs Crump but I have hit a blank wall

Not too sure about this but.... same age, birth place, and a Crump family

RG11; Piece: 2607; Folio: 141; Page: 21
Yarpole, Hereford
Emma Crump 45 wife, laundress, b Kingland
Thomas Crump 22 son, unm, Painter, b Yarpole
William Crump 62 head, ag lab, b Lucton
William Crump 21 son, unm, carpenter & wheelwright, b Yarpole
Albert Davies 7 boarder, scholar, born Leominster, Hereford

next door (next page) is a farmer, Thomas, 50, and Mary 64.

:) forget that - I see you have another thread - I should have looked first. It is possible that the enumerator made a mistake with the surname - with the Davies family next door.

Al et al
09-08-2008, 9:18 AM
Hi Christine,

'the idea has merit' (quote from Disney's Aladdin)!

but was he a benson? or was he a davies who changed his name? or ...?

another problem is that I have 'siblings' (biological Benson or Crump? or also adopted/boarders?); frerick, Annie, Fanny. I have no surnames. This is the info my gran gave me.

yes, these censuses are helpful but can be misleading.

happy hunting to you, Alisan

karenf
14-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi Alisan
In 1881

Alexander Gove, Head, age 43 born Benholm, occupation: ag lab
Jane Gove, wife, age 52, born Kinneff
Alexander Gove, son, age 14, born Glenbervie, occ: farm servant
Maria Gove, dau, age 17, born Arbuthnott, occ: dressmaker
the address was Jacksbank Cottar House, Glenbervie, Kincardineshire.

In 1871
they also had son, Joseph, age 11, born Glenbervie.
the address was Quithel, Glenbervie.

In 1861 The family were at Fallside, Glenbervie.
Alexander was a ploughman.
They had a son, Robert, age 1, born Glenbervie
Joseph was Joseph Grant and he was described as a foster son. It may be worth checking who his parents were.

Hope that helps.

Karen

Al et al
15-08-2008, 8:15 AM
Thanks so much, Karen.

I have no record of Joseph or Robert.
Maybe they had left home by the 1881 census.

Was Robert on the 1861 census? He would have been almost the same age as Joseph.

Were maria and Alexander on the 1871 census?

My husband's family is thru Alex, but it is still interesting to know about Joseph Grant. Who was he? Why was he fostered? I feel i am peeking over their shoulders, sometimes, trying to see into the past, which was there present.

Alisan

karenf
15-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Alisan
Robert disappeared from every census after 1861 until 1901.
His birthplace was given as Glenbarr, Kincardineshire and there is no such place.
He was with wife Margaret c1862, born Old Masha, Aberdeenshire. Again there is no such place and in all probability it is Old Machar, Aberdeenshire. with them was son Alexander c1894 Cortachy, Forfarshire(now Angus) Robert was a coachman domestic.
The address was: Panmuirefield Cottage, Monifieth, Forfarshire(again, now Angus)

Maria and Alexander were present on the census of 1871.

I looked on the IGI for Joseph Grant and could not find him. In the 1861 census it said he was born in 1857 in Glenbervie but in 1871 it said he was born in 1860.
There is a Joseph Grant who appears in 1881 - 1901 born in the age range and in Glenbervie, who is a police constable in Perth(1881) then Methven, Perthshire(1891), and Dunning, Perthshire(1901). I cant find a Joseh Gove though.
Karen