PDA

View Full Version : The very elusive TRESSLER family

Delwyn
19-07-2008, 11:18 PM
This problem family has been puzzling me for years now. They appear in the 1851 census as follows:
HO107/2090 20 173
Frog Island, Tebbs Yd, Leicester
Ann TRESSLER Head Mar 35 Seamer born Desford, Leicestershire
William TRESSLER Son Unm 20 Brickmaker born Gt Shelton (or Stretton), Lei
Thomas TRESSLER Son 8 Seamer born Gt Shelton (or Stretton), Lei

Ann PLANT of Earl Shilton married William TRESSLER at St Mary de Castro, Leicester on 15 Feb 1830 by Banns.

Despite extensive searching under Tressler, Trasler Trusler and Truslow variants in LEI, NTH and WAR I have been unable to find baptisms for either son. Thomas's birth likewise does not appear to be registered. I can't find the family on the 1841 census, and they won't be in the 1861.

Ann and son William were convicted of crimes in 1851 and as a result Ann and youngest son Thomas were transported to Tasmania. William went onto the Hulks and was later released in 1854.

My biggest brickwall is the father William. The only evidence he existed is the marriage. Who was he? I have no occupation, no birthdate and he is mysteriously absent from every census. What happened to him?

There is a William Tressler born in 1791 in Market Harborough, but he married Mary MARSHALL in 1819 also at Market Harborough and appears (!) to be a seperate person.

Can anyone help me find more about William Tressler? Any suggestions oh so gratefully recieved!

Happy Hunting,
Delwyn

ChristineR
20-07-2008, 3:57 AM
Have you looked for the baptism of young William under the PLANT surname? his mother was very young, but he may have been born before the marriage.

ChristineR

Delwyn
20-07-2008, 6:14 AM
Thanks ChristineR.

I should have mentioned that Ann's age on the census is wrong. Ann was in fact closer to 55 than 35, but that's how it reads on the census. (The convict records are a fantastic source!)

I'm fairly certain William was born after the marriage (his age was 19 on the newspaper account of their trial). However having just looked at that it does say William TRESSLAR alias PLANT (19) and Ann PLANT alias TRESSLER (53)!!

So definitely worth a look.

Thanks!
Delwyn