PDA

View Full Version : House for Fallen Women, Roath

lizleech
04-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Does any one have any information about this establishment? I have searched extensively on the net & cannot find a hint. It was a Catholic establishment, but does not appear to have been run by nuns. I have found the only possible match for my g grandmother living there in 1881 census & as she was born in the East End of London, probably as a protestant, though later married a catholic in a catholic ceremony, I am intrigued to know how or why she was there, especially as the census return doesn't apear to include a single baby! Any clues gratefully received!

Stewart
20-05-2005, 8:25 PM
Hi Liz

There is Roath Historical Society that may be able to help you. The have and address which can be found at http://roath.multiservers.com/Network/lochist.html

Stewart

Peggy
20-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi Liz,

She might have "taken up" with a man from Wales. "Seduced and deserted" was often part of "fallen." If there was a baby, I think giving it up (for adoption, to an orphanage) was part of the package. And if she wasn't RC at the start, she was probably immersed in prayers and masses in between doing laundry or whatever. Was there a handy church near the place?

Peggy

P. S. Now you've done it! I'll be humming "She's More To Be Pitied Than Censured" all day. "Life's stormy path" could be very stormy for women in those good old days.