PDA

View Full Version : Hammant ancestors - I apologise for repeating myself!!!!

A Lee
16-07-2008, 9:26 PM
I do apologise for repeating what I have written in previous threads, but I am seriously |banghead||banghead||banghead| and am making a desperate plea for further suggestions as to where to go next:

I have two ancestors who are particularly problematic.

WILLIAM JAMES HAMMANT B.1892 IN FULHAM

HAROLD ORMONDE HAMMANT B. 1901 IN BEXLEY

Both of the above are brothers, although the family are living in Bexley when Harold is born, I do know they moved to Wandsworth at some point before 1909.

Previously, I have gone through the entire BMD index and I have not got one possible marriage or death record for either of them. They may not have married, but I would have thought they'd have died by now.

I found an entry in the WW1 medal index for Harold O Hammant, but have no idea what happened to him after that.

Anyone got any suggestions of any other route I could take to find out what happened to them.

THANK YOU |bowdown|

Alison

Angelaj
16-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi,
William HANNANT b. March 1892, Fulham 1a p.177
Harold Ormonde HAMMANT b. December 1901 Dartford, 2a p.534

I used the 'phonetic search surnames' option.I've used it many times to find lost people.

There's also a death for Harold O. Hammant age 27, June 1929, Croydon 2a p.365

Angelaj

A Lee
16-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Thank you so much for your response Angelaj. I actually have both of their birth certificates - thanks for your effort.

The death is new to me thank you|bowdown| I will check that out!! How did I miss that? FreeBMD has been updated since I went through the quarterly records and I missed that one - my mistake!|blush|

Thank you:D

Alison

bumblebee
16-07-2008, 11:26 PM
There is this marriage, although there do seem to be a few William J Hammants around.

William J Hamment 1918 Q3 Married Eleanor M Beesley Edmonton 3a 1150

Bumblebee

ChristineR
17-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Previously, I have gone through the entire BMD index

FreeBMD has been updated since I went through the quarterly records and I missed that one

It is the GRO index you need to go through. FreeBMD is no where near complete. They do have a coverage chart to show their progress.

ChristineR

Geoffers
17-07-2008, 7:47 AM
I have two ancestors who are particularly problematic.
WILLIAM JAMES HAMMANT B.1892 IN FULHAM
HAROLD ORMONDE HAMMANT B. 1901 IN BEXLEY
Previously, I have gone through the entire BMD index and I have not got one possible marriage or death record for either of them.........Anyone got any suggestions of any other route I could take to find out what happened to them.

Did their dad leave a will in which he mentioned them?

A Lee
17-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Thank you all for your helpful responses.

I did mean I went through the GRO index by quarterly records noting down everyone with the surname Hammant. However, I must have missed Harold O Hammants death either from the record in the first place, or when I typed it all out. Thanks Christine.

I haven't yet gone down the will route. Their father, also called William James, died in 1922. I have been sceptical about this in the past as the family seemed very poor and I'm not that sure he would have anything to leave. However, that might be worth a try, thanks Geoffers.

I keep looking at alternate names - thanks for the suggestion Bumblebee, I'll look into that one!

:D

Alison