PDA

View Full Version : Baptism at St Martin on Looe Bay

Steve Steere
04-01-2005, 6:57 PM
I am attempting to put together the SCOREY family in Cornwall, all believed to originate from one person, possibly Robert SCOREY who married Tabitha TRAGLE in Menheniot in 1701.

The name SCOREY is found also as SCORY and for a strange reason only in Cornwall as SCORREY, SCOURY, SCOUREY and even SCURRIE!

In East Looe in the 1770's is a Richard SCOREY & wife Elizabeth MUCHMORE, and all their children's baptism's are on the IGI, however this William has the father shown as William though I'm sure it should be Richard.

Can anyone check this baptism for me please, the IGI have these details.
WM SCORY, Male. Event(s): Christening: 29 DEC 1775 Saint Martin on Looe Bay, Cornwall, England. Parents: Father: WM. SCORY.

Unfortunately there is not an OPC for this parish to ask, so hopefully someone may be able to help, and I will do my best to reciprocate with help back.

In addition if anyone has information on any Scorey or wants some, I would welcome contact.

TIA.

Sharon
06-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I was at the CFHS last night and had a look on their database for you.

It records
William SCOREY 29 Dec 1775 Father William SCOREY mother - St Martin by Looe.

You could ask the CRO to do a lookup but I do not know what sort of cost that would entail if any. Contact details can be found on their website.

The Cornish Forefathers has also produced a disk of transcripts from St Martin by Looe Baptism Register that covers that period they can be found at www.parishchest.com (http://www.parishchest.com) under Cornwall

Steve Steere
07-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi Sharon,

Very many thanks for looking that up, puts the ball back to St Martin Looe, when I thought Maker or Menheniot were the early bases.

I have since contacted a living SCOUREY from the Cornish SCOREY line, she tells me that the name is pronounced SCURRIE in Cornwall. Another case of how dialect changes a name.

I will have a look at both places mentioned, thanks.

If I can help in return please mail me direct and I'll do my best.

Steve

Steve Steere
08-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Hi Bo,

Thanks for that, appreciated.

Perhaps there was a William about and Richard had a rest at producing children. I will have to track down a will from Richard.

Regards,

Steve