PDA

View Full Version : photograph on photobucket

claireg
14-07-2008, 3:24 PM
http://s330.photobucket.com/albums/l431/claireg3/

This link is to a picture of my grandmother as a domestic at a house where i am not sure, does anyone recognise it or the people in it.

i could not put the photo on this site any other way as it was showing as too large.

Claire

MarkJ
14-07-2008, 3:32 PM
Claire, the link isn't showing. Did you follow the advice in the sticky thread about using Photobucket -
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30819

If you get stuck, PM me the actual link and I can add it to your post.

Mark

claireg
14-07-2008, 3:48 PM
Right sorry Mark, i don't really know what i am doing here, i went onto photobucket and put the picture on there then i copied the link and pasted it onto the site.
Claire

claireg
14-07-2008, 3:57 PM
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l431/claireg3/Ireneasdomestic.jpg

Right have tried the way you suggested lets hope this works now. Great hope someone will recognise the house or the people, please let me know if you do, thanks mark for suggestions.

Claire

MarkJ
14-07-2008, 4:09 PM
You have managed OK there Claire!
Ideally, cropping out all the white space from your scan of the photo would make it a little easier, but not to worry.

Interestingly, the lady on the right looks a lot like my wifes grandmother who worked as a cook in a house in Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire somewhere... Her mother was also a cook at the Duke of Rutlands place.

Edit: Her mother worked at Belvoir Castle and I believe that prior to her marriage, my wifes grandmother also worked there, so maybe.....

Mark

claireg
14-07-2008, 5:01 PM
That is amazing, as Derbyshire is the place i suspected it might be but did not want to put the idea into anyones head.

I think she did work at various places, but would guess she is quite young here, her mother was also in the same line of work.
When you said the lady on the right did you mean the younger one or the one next to Irene(my grandmother) in the domestic outfit?

Where is Belvoir Castle?
Claire

MarkJ
14-07-2008, 5:09 PM
The one sat on the wall, far right. I don't suppose it is my wifes grandmother, but it does look an awful lot like here in the picture there. Of course, it is difficult to tell from a shot like that...
I have a photo of my wifes grandmother, just before her marriage and the similarity to that photo is quite noticeable. However, prior to her marriage, she was in Grantham - hence the Belvior Castle link. But after marrying, she worked somewhere (can't recall where) on the Derby/Notts border...

Mark

claireg
14-07-2008, 5:20 PM
I know what you mean about the similarity, i did in fact wonder myself if that same lady could have been my 'other' grandmother as my mum was adopted and i feel that there could have been some connection between the real and adoptive parents, i did wonder if this photo showed that as my 'other' grandmother also looks a lot like this women on the wall, when i compare to other photos i have, but as you say it is very difficult.
Claire

MarkJ
14-07-2008, 5:27 PM
Well, if the surnames Doncaster, Easom or Stoddart mean anything to you, then there may be a connection! But I suspect most young ladies at the time dressed in similar ways and, in photos, would look quite similar!

Hope you get some joy with this search Claire!

Cheers,
Mark

Neil Wilson
14-07-2008, 6:35 PM
Don't recognise it from North East Derbyshire. The building looks like it was wooden uprights, maybe a sports pavilion?

Belvoir Castle is in Leicestershire, The Duke of Rutland also had places in Derbyshire (Haddon Hall and one other I can't remember the name)

margarita
14-07-2008, 7:14 PM
The building looks like it was wooden uprights, maybe a sports pavilion?

The woman on the right, sitting on the wall looks as if she could be wearing a sports blazer.

maggie