PDA

View Full Version : my drandad`s uncle

BRIAN LOWE
04-01-2005, 3:35 PM
hi every one hope you are all ok. i am doing my family tree and have discovered that my grandad`s uncle is buired at Prospect Hill Cemetery in Gouy France. he served with the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry(what does this mean)and was wondering if any one can tell me what this regiment did during ww1 also is there any web sites were i can access his death certificate without costing me a fortune. many thanks Brian.

keith9351
04-01-2005, 4:16 PM
You could try 1914-1918.net (add www. at the front)
This site will give you basic information on what the Royal Wiltshires were doing in France.
Keith

peter nicholl
04-01-2005, 6:08 PM
Hi Keith
You should also try documents online and click on WW1 medals, with his name and number (should be on the CWGC Roll of Honour site) you should be able to find him. There is a charge to view the Medal Cards. As he died abroad the Death Certificate will cost £11, I believe and they aren't too informative. Also there are a set of books called Soldiers Died in The Great War and as you know his Regiment you should be able to find him. Some Libraries hold copies and Some Kind Soul out there may have access to the books, or the cd version.
Good Luck
Peter