PDA

View Full Version : Watford parish records

Mrs A
14-07-2008, 2:21 PM
I have two questions. I'm looking for my GGGrandmother. She was Mary Willet, born in West Drayton in 1831, and christened in Watford the same year. She married Richard Spall (my GGGrandfather) from Waltham X in 1855.
I'm desperate to find out more about Mary, but where is the best place to search Parish Records of Herfordshire?
I said I had two questions, but I can't remember the other one!!!!!

Jan1954
14-07-2008, 4:52 PM
Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies (aka HALS (http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/)) is based in County Hall, Hertford.

If you are planning a trip, then it is a good idea to get there early as, although the parking is free, there are not too many spaces and they are taken very quickly.

Failing that, I know that the staff there take telephone enquiries - or, maybe someone on the forum will be popping over there soon.

Mrs A
14-07-2008, 7:23 PM
Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies (aka HALS (http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/)) is based in County Hall, Hertford.

If you are planning a trip, then it is a good idea to get there early as, although the parking is free, there are not too many spaces and they are taken very quickly.

Failing that, I know that the staff there take telephone enquiries - or, maybe someone on the forum will be popping over there soon.

Thanks for that, and it's good news because Hertford is a lot easier to get to from where I live. And although I find the internet a boon, there really is nothing as good as going through old records or microfiche. The joy when you see that name in front of you and you think 'Yesss' can't be beaten!

Jan1954
14-07-2008, 7:39 PM
The Hertford RO is light and airy, even though it is in County Hall. They have the parish registers on microfilm, rather than fiche, and there is a coffee/tea machine in the outer room. (Take your own butties as it is a fair step from the shops)

I have never had to book a microfilm reader when I have visited them, so you should be okay just turning up on spec. They also have several computers there so that you can look at many of the websites at the same time.

Just be careful on the A1... |biggrin|

Mrs A
14-07-2008, 7:58 PM
The Hertford RO is light and airy, even though it is in County Hall. They have the parish registers on microfilm, rather than fiche, and there is a coffee/tea machine in the outer room. (Take your own butties as it is a fair step from the shops)

I have never had to book a microfilm reader when I have visited them, so you should be okay just turning up on spec. They also have several computers there so that you can look at many of the websites at the same time.

Just be careful on the A1... |biggrin|

I'll go on the train - my brain is usually swimming with names so it's nice wo chill out (if on can these days on the train) and let someone else drive. I can't wait now!