PDA

View Full Version : Dales from Deptford

Cath
14-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I have Jane Ruth Curby Dale being baptised 3 Jun 1810 at Saint Paul, Deptford, London, England. Her parents are John Dale and Ann. They lived in King St. John was a Labourer. There was another possible daughter born, Ann Charlotte bapt. 13 Aug 1815 in the same church. Then I hit the brick wall. I can find no other information on John and Ann. They are not in any of the census or any other records I have looked at.
I thought I had broken through the brick wall and thought that Ann was an Ann Gowing. I found this John and Ann in the census and was able to trace Ann Gowing's line back many generations only to find out that Ann Gowing had married her John Dale 7 years after my Jane Dale was born. So the brick wall became even more solid than ever.|banghead|
If anyone could shed any light on my Dales I would be very happy. The slightest clue would be much appreciated.|help|
Thankyou in advance for any help.

Regards,
Catherine

ChristineR
14-07-2008, 12:41 PM
I found this John and Ann in the census and was able to trace Ann Gowing's line back many generations only to find out that Ann Gowing had married her John Dale 7 years after my Jane Dale was born. So the brick wall became even more solid than ever.

Hello Catherine

welcome to the forum. :)

You need to be careful in discounting the marriage simply because it happened so long after the birth of Jane - these things did happen. Sometimes it was because one of them might have already had a spouse and couldn't marry until they died or had left England for 6/7 years. After a spouse had been known to be abroad that long one could get the marriage dissolved.

Have you seen the marriage record, to see if it says anything about their marital status at the time.

Just some thoughts :)
Christine

Cath
21-07-2008, 8:21 AM
Dear Christine,
Thankyou very much for your thoughts.|hug| It is certainly a possibility. I was also thinking that maybe John was a sailor and he was continually away before making Ann an honest woman. The John Dale that married Ann Gowing was older than Ann. If Ann Gowing was my Jane Dale's mother than she would have been 16 when Jane was born. Also my John and Ann had a daughter Ann Charlotte. John Dale and Ann Gowing had a daughter Anne and another Charlotte. I originally put this down to the first Ann having died.
Also my Dales were from Deptford and the other Dales married and had their children at Chelsea. Again I put this down to just moving to another area.
There are just so many pros and cons for the Chelsea John Dale and Ann Gowing being or not being my Jane Dales parents. It is just so hard to know.:confused:

I did see a marriage entry. It was emailed to me but I now can't find it but I seem to recall that it confirmed that John Dale and Ann Gowing were not my ancestors. In my disappointment I am not sure where I filed it.

Thanks again for all your help.:)

Regards,
Catherine

Cath
22-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Dear Christine,
Just an update on my previous email. I found the image of John Dale and Ann Gowings marriage entry. It shows John as a bachelor and Ann as a spinster. So your thoughts that John may have been previously married and waiting for the 7 year separation period before marrying Ann unfortunately are not correct. Thankyou anyway for your thoughts.|hug|
Regards,
Catherine