PDA

View Full Version : BRITTONs in Bedminster

mervyn.britton
04-01-2005, 6:50 AM
Although I have been researching my various trees for the past 10 years, I had always considered my own line too damn hard <grin> as there are a proliferation of Britton families of many different spellings, in and around Bristol.
I wondered if someone with local knowledge had worked on this dilema and was able to give me a pointer. I am working from Western Australia, with only the IGI, Census and etc on-line and a number of CDBooks to glean from.

I know that my GGrandfather Arthur BRITTON (1859) (Cordwainer) was born in Bedminster 20th August. Married Isabella COXHEAD 12th May 1883 in St Johns Deptford, Greenwich and Died 5th April 1923. In the 1891 Census he is living in the same house at 26 Strickland St Deptford, as John James GAIT (Bootmaker)of Chilcompton in Somerset, who is married to another of the COXHEAD sisters.
I wondered therefore if there were any other associations between the BRITTONs and GAITs that might better identify the families in Bedminster and surrounds?

I have Arthur's father and Mother as Arthur(1817) (Coalminer)and Louisa ISLES (1820), and Arthur's (1817) father as Samuel (Colier) and Martha. Their children commence in 1810 through 1835 but no marriage info is known. Beyond that I guess at Aaron and Ann (married 1779 St Philip & St Jacob, Bristol; but they are unconfirmed.

Any help or direction will be appreciated.

Mervyn Britton
researching: BRITTON BAUCKHAM BORRAS COXHEAD DIPROSE HAZELDINE
LARLHAM TOWNSEND MURPHY WILDGOOSE