PDA

View Full Version : Is an RSS forum feed possible?

tilbste
10-10-2004, 3:16 AM
Would it be possible to implement a RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feed for the forums?

It would allow us to "pull" messages into a RSS reader (Mozilla Firefox -- free -- supports this) and read the messages offline.

This might satisfy those on dialup that are concerned with the cost of staying online to read messages. And, it solves the spam problem wince messages aren't "sent" through email, lists or newsgroups.

Of course you would still have to logon to post a message.

A number of newsletters and forums are now using RSS technology (Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter for one).

I believe vBulletin (and other forum software) supports RSS feeds.

Thanks.

What is RSS (http://www.webreference.com/authoring/languages/xml/rss/intro/)

John
10-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Steve,
RSS is here, see FAQ, I don't know if it's enabled or not, that's one for Rod to answer.

John

Rod Neep
10-10-2004, 1:08 PM
There is more to it than just providing a feed for individuals.

"Enabling this option will allow people to receive a feed of the latest threads in specific forum(s). This may be included into a webpage or RSS reader to provide an automatically updated latest threads display."
So.... why should I want a third party to be able to include the message threads in a web page outside this system?
Rod

John
10-10-2004, 1:23 PM
So.... why should I want a third party to be able to include the message threads in a web page outside this system?
Rod

Er, how about, because if it was displaying the thread title, it would drive people, with an interest in the topic, to the site?

John

Rod Neep
10-10-2004, 3:21 PM
It is possible, using an RSS feed, for someone to include peoples' messages from this system onto their web pages, or to capture them for other uses. Not just one message, but every message. That sort of thing would be open to abuse in many different ways by people who wanted to act in an unscrupulous manner.

It would take an awful lot of convincing to change my mind.

John
10-10-2004, 4:22 PM

OK, I'll give it a shot then ;-)

"RSS 0.91 - This feed is based on a standard written by netscape and provides a link and the title of the thread

RSS 2.0 - This feed contains title, author, date and the contents of the first post of the thread"

So I read from that, with the first option, the guest views the title of the thread, no message but has a link to that thread to follow if they are interested. No message is "off site" Considering the rather vague nature of most subject lines, not a very good option.

With the second option, they can see the first post in a thread, but no replies to that thread, but they can use the link, access the forum, read messages and register if they so desire. As it states "this allows you to view newly created threadsm that, with the first option, the guest views the title of the thread, no message but has a link to that thread to follow if they are interested. No message is "off site" Considering the rather vague nature of most subject lines, not a very good option.

With the second option, they can see the first post in a thread, but no replies to that thread, but they can use the link, access the forum, read messages and register if they so desire. As it states "this allows you to view newly created threads in guest viewable forums without visiting the board." this suggests that messages are neither available or archived off site. That essentially users of the guest site are able to view board activity through a window.

Rather like seeing a trailer on BBC1 for a programme on BBC2, they'll show you enough to get your attention, but if you are interested, you'll have to go to BBC2 to see the programme.

I see it as a far more effective way of drawing traffic than a straightforward link. Imagine, some in guest viewable forums without visiting the board." this suggests that messages are neither available or archived off site. That essentially users of the guest site are able to view board activity through a window.

Rather like seeing a trailer on BBC1 for a programme on BBC2, they'll show you enough to get your attention, but if you are interested, you'll have to go to BBC2 to see the programme.

I see it as a far more effective way of drawing traffic than a straightforward link. Imagine, somebody visits the Little Knibbling OPC web-site, they see the thread titles from the Little Knibbling OPC forum, think that looks interesting, take the link back to the thread, decide that is a good place to ask for information about their gg grandpa, Lynsey Doyle and register!

Or imagine "700 Years in One Easy Step" on the Brit-Gen web site? That would have them rushing over.

As I said Rod, I'm neither trying to convince you or change your mind, but don't shut the door on the pobody visits the Little Knibbling OPC web-site, they see the thread titles from the Little Knibbling OPC forum, think that looks interesting, take the link back to the thread, decide that is a good place to ask for information about their gg grandpa, Lynsey Doyle and register!

Or imagine "700 Years in One Easy Step" on the Brit-Gen web site? That would have them rushing over.

As I said Rod, I'm neither trying to convince you or change your mind, but don't shut the door on the potential benefits too quickly.
As I understand it you do not want messages archived off site, and I understand that, my understanding is that the system doesn't do that.
The only down side I can see would be an increased load on your server.

John

Phosphorous
12-10-2004, 9:10 PM
It is possible, using an RSS feed, for someone to include peoples' messages from this system onto their web pages, or to capture them for other uses. Not just one message, but every message. That sort of thing would be open to abuse in many different ways by people who wanted to act in an unscrupulous manner.

Surely and RSS feed is only really a set of links to the articles on the site. If someone wants to read a post they will have to follow a link to the site.

I would love this feature. I too use Firefox, which has live bookmarks. This would make an awseome combination.

Regards
Andrew HIGGS

Rod Neep
13-10-2004, 1:06 AM
I'm just going to sit back.... read... and absorb.

At the moment, there are just a very few people interested in this idea. And I can still see some disadvantages, including costly ones.

But as I said..... I'm just going to sit back.... read... and absorb.
Rod

tilbste
13-10-2004, 3:03 AM
It is possible to create a "secure" RSS feed. I couldn't find any details on how to do this from the Forum (vBulletin) side, but here is an article with some sample protected feeds for testing various clients.

Private RSS Feeds - Support for authentication in aggregators (http://labs.silverorange.com/archives/2003/july/privaterss)

I do know that some RSS clients I've tried have username and password fields when entering the feed address.

I don't know if Mozilla Thunderbird supports this. The article mentioned above lists aggregators which do.