PDA

View Full Version : Snape/Martlew

Bev Garry
04-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Thomas Snape married Nancy Martlew at Ashton in Makerfield 6 Dec 1766. They had their first two children there - Alice and James - then moved to Billinge where they had a further ten childen. Thomas died 1801 and Nancy 1829 - Billinge. Nancy's father was James Martlew - mother unknown. Thomas I can't find but I believe his father died and he inherited land at the age of 12 (c1750). An old family note says he was from "Snapes' Green" - his mother was Catholic and his father C of E. He had two sisters who followed their mother's faith and who distanced themselves from him as he was brought up in his father's faith.

Thos and Nancy's second son was Richard (he was Rector of Brent Eleigh in Suffolk for 50+ years). They also had a son William who died then named another son William. I haven't managed to establish parentage of Thomas but suspect his father was either Richard or William. Neither have I
managed to get back beyond James Martlew.

It has taken me a long, long time to get this far but I would love to get back a bit further before I fall off the twig myself.

Snape was quite an unusual name in Australia when I started but I received a shock when I discovered just how common it is in Lancashire. Lots here in Oz now too.

Any help much appreciated.

Bev Garry, Sydney

Philo
06-01-2005, 6:19 AM
Hi Bev.
I am researching one family of Snapes from Manchester on my mothers side.

Namely
Thomas Henry Snape b1837
Married 11-2-1855
Margaret Edge b1838

Through to the present day.

I doubt if its of interest to your research but who knows?
Cheers
Philo

Bev Garry
11-01-2005, 5:35 AM
Hello Philo,

Sorry, but I can't say your family ties with mine at all. As you say, who knows??

Thank you for trying.
Regards,
Bev Garry

Rowan Tree
27-03-2008, 1:21 PM
Hi Bev,

I have the following parish records and wondered if there was anything I could "look-up" for you?

St. Thomas, Ashton-in-Makerfield
Baptisms: 1698 - 1873
Marriages: 1700 - 1753
Burials: 1746 - 1844

St. Oswald, Winwick (mother church to St. Thomas)
Baptisms: 1661 - 1806
Marriages: 1661 - 1812
Burials: 1661 - 1806

If there is anything I can look up for you please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards, Kirsty :)

Bev Garry
31-03-2008, 9:31 PM
Thank you Kirsty. This is so kind of you.

I found an old note that said Nancy Martlew was an only child and owned property. From her husband's (Thomas Snape) Will of 1801 I found land in Ashton-in-Makerfield left to their eldest son, James and from there finally traced Nancy as the daughter of James and ? Martlew.

Nancy Martlew married Thomas Snape there 6 December 1766 and they had two children there. In 1767, Alice,and in 1769, James. By 1771 they were in Billinge where there appear to have been a number of Martlews living.

The fact that Nancy was an only child (born 1747) makes me think that mother died soon after her birth - not necessarily so I know. I believe that James Snape born 1769 was named for James Martlew and possibly Alice for Nancy's mother.

I would be so pleased if you could check for a marriage for James Martlew and an Alice (?) around 1745 and possibly a death for James and a female Martlew between 1747 and 1771.

Thank you again Kirsty. I simply haven't been able to get any further with my Snapes and Martlews.

Bev Garry, Sydney

Rowan Tree
01-04-2008, 6:08 PM
...I would be so pleased if you could check for a marriage for James Martlew and an Alice (?) around 1745 and possibly a death for James and a female Martlew between 1747 and 1771...

Hi Bev,

I've been doing a little digging and came up with the following:

St. Thomas the Martyr, Upholland – Marriages:
24/02/1744
James Marclew & Alice Barton

After failing to turn up any possible marriages in St. Thomas, Ashton or St. Oswald, Winwick I looked on the Lancashire on-line parish clerks web-site and found the Upholland marriage (the marriage also appears on the IGI). The date looks good and the names are promising. Could this be your James and Alice? I would hope the actual parish register entry would give more information than was available either on the OPC or IGI so hopefully there is more supporting evidence out there (possibly in the form of witnesses and parishes of bride and groom) relating to this marriage.

I've so far not turned up any possible burials for Alice but am still looking (may need to get back to you on any possible Alice burials or any other possible female Martlew burials).

I have found some possible James Martlew burials (again off Lancashire OPC):
St Thomas the Martyr, Up Holland - Burials:
Burial: 15 Jan 1754
James Marclew - Son of George Marclew
Abode: Upholland

Burial: 28 Aug 1780
James Martclew? - Son of Richard Martclew?
Abode: Upholland
Father Occupation: Delfman

Ashton Chapel, in the Parish of Winwick - Burial:
Burial: 8 Aug 1784
James Martlew - Son of James Martlew

I still want to continue having a little hunt though my records. I'm hoping I might find some more possible Martlew burials.

While I was looking for James Martlew I came across several baptisms for children of a Thomas Martlew. Could this Thomas have been James' brother? I thought I'd pass on the baptisms (plus a burial) in case they became relevant at any point:

St. Thomas, Ashton-in-Makerfield – Baptisms:
B: 21/06/1744
Bapt: 01/07/1744
Alice d. Thomas Marclew

B: 13/12/1745
Bapt: 01/01/1746
Mary d. Thomas Martlew

B: 01/08/1747
Bapt: 16/08/1747
Nancy d. James Martlew

B: 18/06/1748
Bapt: 03/07/1748
Elizabeth d. Thomas Marklew

B: 09/05/1750
Bapt: 29/05/1750
Nancy d. Thomas Marklew

B: 05/08/1752
Bapt: 19/08/1752
John s. Thomas Martlew

B: 01/11/1754
Bapt: 27/11/1754
James s. Thomas Martlew

B: 27/01/1757
Bapt: 18/02/1757
Thomas s. Thomas Martlew

B: 16/08/1759
Bapt: 05/09/1759
Thomas s. Thomas Martlew

B: 09/09/1761
Bapt: 07/10/1761
William s. Thomas Martlew

B: 31/12/1763
Bapt: 27/01/1764
Peggy d. Thomas Martlew

B: 10/03/1766
Bapt: 15[16]/04/1766
George s. Thomas Martlew

St. Thomas, Ashton-in-Makerfield - Burials:
30/01/1758
Thomas Martlew

One last thing before I sign off. I came across a marriage at St. Oswald, Winwick which may be of interest:
St. Oswald, Winwick – Marriages:
20/07/1777
James (x) Martlew & Betty (x) Birchall, botp, bp 6th, 13th and 20th July. Witnesses: Robert Cross and Thomas Birchall.

I'll carry on looking for burials - I'll post again to let you know if I turn anything up. Just thought I'd pass this lot on in the mean time.

Bye for now, Kirsty :)

Rowan Tree
01-04-2008, 6:16 PM
Hi Bev,

Only me again... :)

I just came across a few St. Aidan, Billinge marriages which I thought may be of interest:
St. Aidan, Billinge - Marriages:
29/06/1784
Edward RIGBY & Betty MARCLEW

13/06/1791
Robert BEARD & Ann MARTLEW

21/04/1794
Richard HOUGHTON & Alice MARCLEW

02/10/1798
Edward MELLING & Jane MARTLEW

TTFN, Kirsty :)

Bev Garry
03-04-2008, 5:18 AM
Hello Kirsty,
Thank you so much for your time and trouble. I certainly appreciate it. That James Marclew and Alice Barton marriage does seem promising. At the moment I can't just pinpoint it, but somewhere along the line I remember a Barton reference. As a wedding witness I think or else a Snape was witness at a Barton wedding. I'll try and find that snippet.

The leasehold land in Ashton-in-Makerfield that Thomas Snape left in his Will must have belonged to James Martlew at one time. I believe that was the property Nancy inherited.

All Thomas's other land was in Newborough (where the Snapes were centred early on), Abram, Blackrod and Billinge.

You've given me a lot to think about Kirsty. How I wish I could just dive into all those old registers etc. I'll have to see what I can order from the IGI.

Thank you again.

Bev Garry, Sydney

Rowan Tree
03-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi Bev,

You're very welcome :).

I've had a good look through St. Thomas and St. Oswald burials and havn't come up with anything I'm afraid :(. I've got a hunch your Marclew's were using chuches in a more Wigan direction.

The following registers might be worth a try:
St. Thomas the Martyr, Upholland
St. Aidan, Billinge

Also, there is an old independant church in Ashton-in-Makerfield which may be worth checking:
Park Lane Chapel, Bryn (Unitarian)

I'm not sure how it works ordering off UK web-site's from Australia but here is one of the sites I use

Parish Chest: http://www.parishchest.com/
Click on 'Parish Registers', choose Lancashire then click on 'Lancashire Parish Register Society'.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and be sure to pass anything on of interest. Good luck with your hunt. Take care, Kirsty :)

uksearch
03-04-2008, 5:55 PM
For anyone who can make a trip to Manchester Central Library ALWAYS check out their Church Register List...you may be surprised to see some of the records they have on film.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=464

UK

Bev Garry
04-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Thank you again Kirsty. I'll follow up on your suggestions.

If I can do anything for you on this side of the world please let me know.

Bev

safetyman
15-11-2008, 2:47 PM
Hi Bev.
I am researching one family of Snapes from Manchester on my mothers side.

Namely
Thomas Henry Snape b1837
Married 11-2-1855
Margaret Edge b1838

Through to the present day.

I doubt if its of interest to your research but who knows?
Cheers
Philo

Philo, I know of one Snape family which includes Harry who was vicar of Whalley and also owned the printing firm of H.Snape & Sons which was just in Salford. Any help to you?
Frank