PDA

View Full Version : Help With Two Marriages

t@nya
09-07-2008, 12:36 PM
I need help to find two marriages, neither of which appear in the IGI index.

The first is that of George Tickell who married Mary around, I believe, 1786 in Droitwich, Worcestershire

The second is that of George Tickell's parents, George and Mary, also in Droitwich. The date of this marriage is more uncertain. George was born in 1733, so the marriage could have taken place any time between 1753 (when he was 20) and 1766 when the younger George was baptised.

I have a maiden name for neither Mary, so I would be very happy to find a reference to either marriage. Can anyone help me, or at least give me advice on what to do?

MarkJ
09-07-2008, 1:29 PM
George was born in 1733, so the marriage could have taken place any time between 1753 (when he was 20) and 1766 when the younger George was baptised.

Why when he was 20? He could easily have been married several years by then.
Having said that, the IGI doesn't show any George Tickell marriages for any period around the right time, although the IGI does appear to have the Droitwich records indexed.

Assuming the marriages did take place in Droitwich, it looks like the parish registers may be the best way forward in tracking down the events. I do appreciate that being in Oz, that may not be terribly practical. I did look to see if Parish Chest had a suitable cd of the registers, but, not being familiar with the area, I am not sure which, if any of the disks would be helpful to you. Of course, another member may be able to assist you...

Mark

Geoffers
09-07-2008, 3:33 PM
it looks like the parish registers may be the best way forward in tracking down the events. I do appreciate that being in Oz, that may not be terribly practical.........

........unless you are near to a mormon church (LDS) record centre and they have copied the register onto microfilm. If so, you could gire the film and check through the entries.

Or, some record offices will copy register entries for a fee, or may be able to supply copies on fiches/film.

Check to see if the local FHS has transcribed any records which may help you.

t@nya
09-07-2008, 11:30 PM
I checked the coverage of the IGI indexes for Droitwich, and there's a gap for their coverage of the Droitwich records that covers both marriages. :(

Unfortunately, even if I could easily get to a lds library (which I can't) that means that I wouldn't be able to find the marriages there. That's why I was hoping someone on the boards here had access to the copies of the parish registers. The only other ways I can think of is to contact a FHS like you suggested, to contact the record office for Worcestershire, or a Worcestershire

t@nya
10-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Just did a check of the coverage of the indexes. The indexes cover marriages at Saint Peter, Droitwich, which is the most likely parishes they were married, from 1544 to 1761 and then again from 1792 to 1882. That means the earlier marriage may have taken place any time between 1762 to 1766.

Guy Etchells
10-07-2008, 5:57 AM
I checked the coverage of the IGI indexes for Droitwich, and there's a gap for their coverage of the Droitwich records that covers both marriages. :(

Unfortunately, even if I could easily get to a lds library (which I can't) that means that I wouldn't be able to find the marriages there. That's why I was hoping someone on the boards here had access to the copies of the parish registers. The only other ways I can think of is to contact a FHS like you suggested, to contact the record office for Worcestershire, or a Worcestershire

Sorry I don't understand, as Geoffers wrote the LDS have the registers on film;
Parish registers for St. Peter de Witton Church, Droitwich, 1544-1978 (seventeen 35mm films)

Don't confuse the IGI (which is an index of LDS temple ordinances) with the LDS library catalogue. There are thousands of films and fiche of original records in the catalogue including other Droitwich churches.
i.e.
Bishop's transcripts for St. Andrew's Church, Droitwich, 1608-1871
Cheers
Guy

t@nya
10-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Sorry I don't understand, as Geoffers wrote the LDS have the registers on film;
Parish registers for St. Peter de Witton Church, Droitwich, 1544-1978 (seventeen 35mm films)

Don't confuse the IGI (which is an index of LDS temple ordinances) with the LDS library catalogue. There are thousands of films and fiche of original records in the catalogue including other Droitwich churches.
i.e.
Bishop's transcripts for St. Andrew's Church, Droitwich, 1608-1871
Cheers
Guy

Thanks for the clarification. Why doesn't the lds update the indexes? I mean, the indexes don't cover those years and I just assumed that they weren't transcribed by the lds. I've always assumed that if they didn't appear in the indexes they didn't exist.

Since I have difficulty getting to a lds library, is there a place I can purchase those films?

Geoffers
11-07-2008, 8:07 AM
Since I have difficulty getting to a lds library, is there a place I can purchase those films?

As mentioned above........."some record offices will copy register entries for a fee, or may be able to supply copies on fiches/film.

Check to see if the local FHS has transcribed any records which may help you."

Worcestershire Record Office (http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/home/wcc-records)

Birmingham and Midland Family History Society (http://www.bmsgh.org/)

t@nya
11-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Following advice given here I contacted the Worcester Library and History Centre and asked them if they could help. They looked up their indexes and found both marriages! :D

I've sent back replies asking for copies.

Everyone who replied, thank you for your advice. :)

MarkJ
11-07-2008, 11:52 PM
That is great news!
I am really pleased that you have tracked the marriages down :)

Mark

Andrew Mead
12-07-2008, 6:41 AM
Why doesn't the lds update the indexes? I mean, the indexes don't cover those years and I just assumed that they weren't transcribed by the lds.
Possibly because they don't have permission.
Some years ago the LDS went round the country filming the parish registers, and it is a copy of these films that a lot of the county record offices use. However, in some cases the priests in the churches concerned have not given their permission for the records to be published (copyright of the parish registers is owned by the current incumbent permanently, there is no cut off date when the copyright ends). This is why there are few Welsh registers in the IGI, as I believe the Church In Wales did not approve of publication and recommended against it.
Incidentally, most Church In Wales registers are held in the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth, and not in the local county records offices as in England, although the records offices usually have copies. My local church holds full size copies, printed from the microfilms.