PDA

View Full Version : Samuel Allen b: England abt 1821

marthae101
09-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Hello:
I am trying with all my might to locate family information on my GrGrGrandfather Samuel Allen. We do know by US census he was born about 1821 or so. Where in England is the question?
We first find him in DeKalb Co., Illinois (1860 census) living with wife Sarah and children:
Charles, Samuel, Henry.
Since Samuel Allen in the US is such a overtly typical name, we cannot seem to find which one is which, with the port of entry.
I am trying to locate his, declaration of intent papers, which would hold more information. Most did, but not all contain: birth certs, marriage certs, children's birth cert's etc.
Which would make this so much easier. Since that is not happening so far either to many at the present time. I am getting as many at one time as I can, as they are rather cheap.
So far no good.
I can say this, between 1865-1870 Sarah dies. Where? We do not know. They did not have no records back then. Samuel dies in 1881, again no records that early.
But after Sarah's death, Samuel goes to live with my other GrGrGrandparenst Emanuel & Margaret Sturgis. Interestingly this is a very hard time period, so for them to keep him till his death, is really unusual. They had to be the best of friends (which would lead me to believe he had to be from around Lincolnshire-one for the close friendship as both were "ditchers", or 2-they were related in some way).
I know I grasp at straws. Took me almost 38 years to locate my Grandfather and his family with nothing more than my Grandparents wedding picture, and their wedding certificate. I can be like a bulldog !!!!
But I finally found him and his family.
Thru the different US census, we have Charles born in England, but we are not so sure, errors do occur.
Just like Charles b:1850 and Samuel b:1854 are always consistant with their ages and dates of birth. But when I got my GrGrGrandfather Emanuel Sturgis Civil War Record I found out that Charles was born 1852 and Samuel 1853.
I would appreciate any help here.
Thank you.
Martha