PDA

View Full Version : Bevan (or Beavan) of Yarpole, Herefordshire

yelkcub
08-07-2008, 7:29 PM
I have come to a brick wall in my search for an ancestor, James Bevan, born around 1798. According to the census of 1851 and 1861 his birthplace was Yarpole, though the Record Office at Hereford could find no trace of a baptismal record. By 1820 James Bevan had moved to Cheltenham, where he spent the rest of his life, first as a grocer and later as an accountant. On the certificate of his second marriage he gives his father's name as John Bevan, baker.
There were other Bevans (or Beavans) living in Cheltenham, many of whom came from Kington - and I wonder whether any of them were related to him in some way.
If you have any information you think may be helpful, I would be most grateful to hear from you. Of course, I am more than happy to share the information I have.
Ian Buckley

Al et al
14-08-2008, 1:53 PM
I have Bevans in my tree but they are from Dilwyn, i think. the daughter caroline is (b1800). and father walter. grandfather michael's birthplace are unknown.
i am not sure where diwyn is in relationship to yarpole.
alisan

yelkcub
14-08-2008, 2:58 PM
Thanks for your reply. Dilwyn is about twenty miles south west of Yarpole. I have found other Bevans from Kington, Herefordshire - but none with the names you mention, and there are no Bevans with those forenames in my family, as far as I am aware. I think Bevan was originally a Welsh name (meaning 'son of Evan'), so it's no wonder that Bevan is quite a common name in the border counties. I'll keep your reply on file, and let you know if I come across any Walter, Michael or Caroline
Ian

netti
14-08-2008, 6:17 PM
I have a Hannah Bevan marrying in to my Arrowsmith tree. She was daughter of James Bevan & Catherine Preece and was baptised at Bredwardine in 1793.

She had a brother James baptised 1798 - but I see the father's name doesn't match so not much help really, sorry!

Have you checked nearby parishes? If someone could get to Hereford RO for you, they have lots of parishes indexed in books so fairly speedy look ups if your parish of choice is included.

netti

yelkcub
14-08-2008, 7:33 PM
Hi Netti -
I think every scrap of information is potentially valuable, and I'll put your information into my Bevan file. Who knows, your Bevans might turn out to be related. Actually, I'm taking 'my' James Bevan's father's name with a pinch of scepticism. It was quite common - I've actually found two examples in my own research - for men born illegitimate to invent a father's name for the purposes of marriage certificates, etc. At the moment, the most likely possibility is that James Bevan of Cheltenham (born Yarpole) was related to other Bevans born in Herefordshire and living in Cheltenham. There was a Theophilus Bevan and his brother John Griffiths Bevan who were chemists with premises quite close to James's grocery shop in 1841. Tempting to think they were relatives ...
So thanks for your reply, Netti - and all the best with your own research
Ian

Al et al
15-08-2008, 8:00 AM
Thanks, Ian. Yes, these name changes, illegitimacy and variations can be VERY confusing!
For the record, Caroline married a Richard Walton, Walter m Anne Hill, and Michael m Elizabeth Rogers.
Happy Hunting with your James (or whoever he transpires to be!).
alisan