PDA

View Full Version : Unable to read page number

galaxysue
03-01-2005, 10:57 AM
I have been researching Grady family in Whaplode Lincs I have found James Grady in records as christening 1856 and in 1855 birth registers for Holbeach (about 1 mileapart) but am unable to read the page number is it an 8 or a 3 as I am new to this can anyone help as I would like to verify that this is the same person his parents show in christening record as Luke and Jane Grady.
Thanks sue

Geoffers
03-01-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm afraid that the image is not being displayed. can you try again?

Geoffers

galaxysue
03-01-2005, 12:44 PM
have tried to edit and change but when we upolad it the top is cut off!!!

Pam Downes
03-01-2005, 7:08 PM
I have been researching Grady family in Whaplode Lincs I have found James Grady in records as christening 1856 and in 1855 birth registers for Holbeach (about 1 mileapart) but am unable to read the page number is it an 8 or a 3 as I am new to this can anyone help as I would like to verify that this is the same person his parents show in christening record as Luke and Jane Grady.
Thanks sue
Hi Sue,
I've had a look on FreeBMD, but the birth isn't listed on there as yet, so I presume you meant that you looked at the GRO Index and found a birth listed in one of the quarters for 1855 and beside it it said Holbeach, followed by 7a and then another number. If so, Holbeach in this instance is the registration district in which the birth occurred and was registered. A full list of the places in that district can be found at
http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/lin.htm
and then click on Holbeach.
The only way that you can be 100% certain that the birth registration refers to the same James that you've found in the Whaplode registers is by sending for the birth certificate. On the URL I quoted, at the bottom of the Holbeach section it said 'registers now divided amongst Lincolnshire' click on the Lincs bit and you get an address.
As you have an unclear GRO Index reference, it is far easier and cheaper to apply to the local office than to the GRO at Southport. (Provided you live in the UK.)
The advantage is that the birth certificate wll give you the mother's maiden name if you don't already have it.
For lots of info about BMD certificates see
http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm

Pam Downes

galaxysue
03-01-2005, 7:49 PM
Thanks very much it was really helpful, we live in Lincoln and reg office is 10 mins from our house!!