PDA

View Full Version : Great Prisoner Web-site with Pictures

Debbie Bozkurt
08-07-2008, 6:38 AM
Just found this great web-site with some pictures and details of prisioners in Victorian days. Just found my Great Grandfather, only a petty criminal but.....

I am trying to get ready for work and search at the same time. Try it out you may be lucky.

http://vcp.e2bn.org/

Happy Hunting

Debs

busyglen
08-07-2008, 1:24 PM
That is a fantastic site! I went to have a quick look and couldn't help doing a search for one of my husbands family names who were known as rogues, but nothing there I'm pleased to say! I've spent longer than I meant to as it's so interesting.

Glenys

Angelaj
08-07-2008, 2:12 PM
Hi Debs,
This is great. I think poor old Henry Catlin may be a distant relative too. Plenty of my relatives appear on it but sadly no photos.
Angelaj

v.wells
08-07-2008, 2:29 PM
Wonderful site! Shocking justice system! :eek: Couldn't find any black sheep:) I have bookmarked it for further reading. Great find!:)

*bunty*
09-07-2008, 2:59 AM
It is a great site! Didn't find any of my lot there though :cool:.

susan-y
09-07-2008, 3:49 AM
I spent way too much time checking out this site today....|biggrin|
Now-a-days their punishment would be major child abuse......:rolleyes: how old was that little girl in the Huntingdon gaol pictures?:eek: We really don't know how good we have it now. This is a super site...It's now added to my favourites. :DThanks
Sue

Clueless Gypsy
25-07-2008, 1:10 PM
Here's another link convict researchers might find useful. These were taken at the Port Arthur convict settlement in 1874 by a private photograher.

Port Arthur convict images 1874 (http://echospond.jalbum.net/Rogues%20Gallery/)

GC

sandiep
25-07-2008, 3:21 PM
What a great set of photos! not sure I would want to meet some of them face to face!!

sandie

brianb
28-07-2008, 8:21 AM
I am trying to get ready for work and search at the same time. Try it out you may be lucky.

Debs[/QUOTE]

Great site Debs, and yes I often do that (search when getting ready to go to work, dinner, bed etc), addictive isnt it !

Brian

Woodlander
07-03-2009, 10:06 AM
I've bookmarked it! Looks like I could be ages on there - many thanks :)

Feen
08-03-2009, 10:42 AM
This is a fascinating site but it does seem to cover only Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, perhaps Hertfordshire, and that's not at all obvious from the introduction. It would be great to have a site that included prisoner records from all areas of the UK.

valgeo
27-05-2009, 2:05 AM
Feen, if you go into the Buckinghamshire County council website - they too have an archive section for long ago prisoners at Aylesbury gaol - with photo's in some cases. Very similar to the above website.