PDA

View Full Version : Firefox problem

sindylin
07-07-2008, 4:48 PM
A well known Family history site beginning with "A" always causing Internet Explorer (IE) to jam when I go to close it. I then have to open task manager and close IE including any other sites I have open at the same time using IE.|computer|

So........................... I thought I would use Firefox 3 just for "A" BUT.................... I can't view the site as it needs "flash Player" something or other and when I click on the "download" button for it it says it can't do it. |help|

Does anyone else have trouble with "A" and IE ?
Does anyone else use "A" with Firefox 3 with no problem?
I have Windows Vista by the way (someone has to :D)

thanks
sindylin

Jan1954
07-07-2008, 4:59 PM
Sindylin,

I have a similar problem with A*** as well. However, whilst I do not have Firefox, I do have Vista. The problem has only occured since I have had Vista as well - no problem with XP.

The site takes ages to load and, if I become impatient, I get the "aol is not responding" message. I then click again and get what looks like tissue paper over the screen, click again and I am okay. This is intermittent, and appears to happen late evening. I had no problems at all with it this morning, but did last night. Have yet to try it this evening.

Not only that, I can go for days without it happening. However, as computers are a complete mystery to me, I just tend to go with the flow... http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee187/Jan_07/shrug.gif

I can drive the blasted thing, but don't ask me to change a wheel...

sindylin
07-07-2008, 6:21 PM
interesting....... I never had a problem with XP but I had no choice when I had to buy a new laptop other than to have Vista. Unlike a lot of people I rather like Vista, but it appears that Vista may be the root cause with "A"

Its strange becuase I can log on to A and log out again straight away without doing anything, but as soon as I do a search or view a document thats the problem. I click the red X at the top of the screen and it disappears but its still open if you know what I mean, plus it jams up the laptop which means I can't click onto any of the other things I have open. I can only open Task Manager by doing ctrl+alt+delete.

Its not the end of the world, at least it works its just annoying and if anyone knew why and could tell me......that would have been great.

As you say computers.....tsk.....

Sindylin

websterbfc
07-07-2008, 6:24 PM
I have had the same problem with A******* and firefox

for the las year i have used firefox for everything except A****** for which i have had to use IE as firefox wont let me view images and just flashes

however, having done nothing at all, no updates as far as i know and yesterday i tried to use A****** in firefox and hey presto it worked as good as gold....i have no idea why and i know that is no help at all to you sorry :confused:

sindylin
07-07-2008, 6:35 PM
hmmmmmmm very strange eh?? I guess its just another of lifes mysteries....still its nice to know that it isn't just me! :)

jane.harrison.9
07-07-2008, 6:37 PM
I don't know what I did right.If I did I would tell you.
I have a vista lap top, use firefox and never have any problems with " A "
PC is XP use firefox again no problems with " A "
Jane

sindylin
07-07-2008, 6:46 PM
maybe its firefox v3?

Jan1954
07-07-2008, 6:50 PM
I do not have Firefox. :confused:

Neil Wilson
07-07-2008, 7:16 PM
Hi
Seeing that FireFox is non commerical I will post the link to their add-ons here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7
You should find the flash player listed on here.

sindylin
07-07-2008, 7:34 PM
Thanks Neil
:)

pipsqueak
07-07-2008, 9:58 PM
I have used Firefox for a few years now and always get the updates. I have never had a problem on A using Firefox. However, I also have a Mac so no Vista issues either.

Andrew Mead
08-07-2008, 7:18 AM
every now and again when I open an image on A it will cause Firefox a problem and it has to close.

I get this occasionally - caused, I think, by Ancestry's viewer. The good thing about Firefox is that when you re-start it it asks if you want to restore the session and goes back to where you were, re-opening the image without a problem, so you don't have to go through everything again

websterbfc
08-07-2008, 2:05 PM
I get this occasionally - caused, I think, by Ancestry's viewer. The good thing about Firefox is that when you re-start it it asks if you want to restore the session and goes back to where you were, re-opening the image without a problem, so you don't have to go through everything again
a very handy feature of firefox i must admit

David Mann
12-07-2008, 12:20 AM
For what it's worth I had a problem with the A..... site until this week when a Firefox update was installed. Before that I could get round it by opening Firefox in Safe Mode which you should be able to do from the All Programs Tab on the Start Menu.