PDA

View Full Version : The hulks in sheerness

Flowers
07-07-2008, 8:11 AM
I dont know if this is the right forum if not I am sorry .. I was wondering If anyone had information on them around late 1700s 1800s and 1900s .Maybe even lists of names living there ? thanks

busyglen
07-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi Flowers,

I live on the Isle of Sheppey (Sheerness is the town) and may be able to help if you could give me some indication of who/what you are actually looking for.
Feel free to email me (address on my profile) and I will be happy to do what I can.

Glenys :)

busyglen
07-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Just to expand things a little.

Hulks were old ships that were positioned off-shore and in the case of Sheerness, housed many prisoners/convicts. They lived in very grim conditions and were subjected to all sorts of diseases. The convicts were also used for labour in the Dockyard.

In 1835 Sheerness petitioned to have the convicts and hulks removed as there were great fears of infections, and so they were removed to Woolwich.

Some years later, a postscript was added to the petition, that there was a rumour going around that the people were thinking of petitioning to get them back as they.....missed the trade!

Later some of the old hulks were used as quarters for the Preventive Officers, until later when Coastguard houses were built. One such hulk was stationed near Scrapsgate on Sheppey, and the officer was married from there and returned with his wife to live on board.

If you are looking for a specific person and would like to give me the name, I will have a look to see if I can trace anything amongst some of the records I have.

Glenys

Peter Goodey
07-07-2008, 1:38 PM
Para 2.2.c of the research guide "Tracing 19th and 20th Century Criminals" lists the hulks for which the National Archives hold records.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=120

Flowers
07-07-2008, 1:43 PM
Hi Glen I am looking up my husbands family the name was Lee I have got back to the 1841 Census with all being correct except the ages of Benjamin and Mary and I cant find there marrage yet but thats beside the way .. I was looking on this site .. freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~penney/

And saw the list of name that lived on the hulks .. The Hulk Dwellers of Bluetown (Sheerness). I see the name lee 3 times I was just wondering if any could have been his family..In 1801 there were 4 hulks of old warships used for accommodation .Edgar,
Nottingham ,Orford , and Montague housing a total of 186 families 350
children. if there is any way they could be looked into it would be great by the way if you dont have that site its very good

Flowers
07-07-2008, 1:49 PM
I have saved that to look at when times are quiet . I am not real sure if they were criminals but worth a look .. I thnk god i never lived then |hug|
oppps for got this if you dont have it Peter its good .. all about sheerness .. freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....y.com/~penney

busyglen
07-07-2008, 5:11 PM
Hi Glen I am looking up my husbands family the name was Lee I have got back to the 1841 Census with all being correct except the ages of Benjamin and Mary and I cant find there marrage yet but thats beside the way .. I was looking on this site .. freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~penney/

And saw the list of name that lived on the hulks .. The Hulk Dwellers of Bluetown (Sheerness). I see the name lee 3 times I was just wondering if any could have been his family..In 1801 there were 4 hulks of old warships used for accommodation .Edgar,
Nottingham ,Orford , and Montague housing a total of 186 families 350
children. if there is any way they could be looked into it would be great by the way if you dont have that site its very good

Ok, thanks for that info. I do have the link of that website, and I actually know the elderly gentleman, but I hadn't seen this link as it is a new one. I'll see what I can find out for you if you give me a bit of time....he may have kept copies of the information, so I'll try and ring him. Will let you know one way or the other.

Glenys

busyglen
08-07-2008, 1:37 PM
Hi Flowers,

I contacted the gentleman concerned, but although he did have the reference, he can't locate it at the moment. He was doing quite a bit of paper work, and it's probably caught up in something else. If he can trace it he will let me know. I will have a look around though to see if I can spot anything else for you. By the way, do you have any christian names for those Lees? I might be able to find some more local info for you.

Glenys