PDA

View Full Version : An entire family disappears!

pipsqueak
07-07-2008, 4:14 AM
Is there no (Harriett) Justice (Jeffrey) in the world (in 1901)?.

Please help - it's driving me mad! It is the WHITE family I am really interested in - Harriet married Mr Jeffrey. The family can be seen beloe, so read on and please, try to help!

At 42 Stamford Terrace, Hackney there are two families - related to each other (although the census doesn't say so).

Edwin Reid Jeffrey, 32, Head, Jeweller (Gold), born Hackney.
Harriett Justice Jeffrey, wife, 32, born Hackney (Also written Harriet Justus)
Amy Maria Jeffrey, 16, daughter, - ditto - (could be Amy Marie)
Henry Edwin Jeffrey, 11, son - ditto -
Albert Chas Jeffrey 8, son - ditto -

Listed as a separate household at the same address are Harriett's brother and sister:
John William White, Married, 25, Plasterer
Sarah Elizabeth White, Single, 20, Confectioner

This information can be seen on the 1891 census, here:
Class: RG12; Piece: 182; Folio 119; Page 20

Mystery: I cannot find a single one of the above-named in 1901 anywhere - not even in the USA.

I've spent hours tonight on it and would appreciate some new eyes. I have been tracing them forward for three generations and they have barely moved in that time so I can't understand how the entire family could have vanished without a trace.
|help|

michaelpipe
07-07-2008, 5:02 AM
Hi there Pipsqueak,

1901 census RG13; Piece: 262; Folio: 158; Page: 2

Looks like Edwin, married to an Elizabeth with a step daur Adeline Walker aged 14.
Possibly had a change of wife between 1891 and 1901

Michael

Geoffers
07-07-2008, 6:17 AM
Looks like Edwin, married to an Elizabeth with a step daur Adeline Walker aged 14. Possibly had a change of wife between 1891 and 1901

A possible reason for remarriage:

GRO death index
Mar 1896 JEFFERY Harriet, Hackney, Vol.1b, Page 326

GRO marriage index:
Dec 1896 JEFFERY Edwin Reid, W.Ham, Vol.4a, Page 56
freebmd shows a corresponding entry for
Elizabeth Legg WALKER

hughesrj
07-07-2008, 7:53 AM
Hello - according to the 1901 online census the family (or part of it) still resided there - so they must have left later still.

:confused:

rj

pipsqueak
07-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Michael and Geoffers - thank you!! I had even looked up Edwin and couldn't find him!

RJ - please tell me the reference if you can - I spent too long trying to locate the address and never found it because the districts had changed - and please tell me which family members were there! I'm still looking nd still not finding!

Thank you all for your help - it's much appreciated. :)

hughesrj
10-07-2008, 7:54 PM
I did a quick search on

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/census/

under "search by person" The broad result was:

Name Edwin R Jeffrey Age:44 Place of birth :London Hackney London Civil Parish: St Andrew Undershaft Entire Occupation: Working Jeweller

- up to the point where I would have to pay for the full detail...|sad1|

rj

pipsqueak
10-07-2008, 8:48 PM
Thank you. I managed to find that entry; the one I can't find in 1901 is the old address in Stamford Terrace. Perhaps the street no longer existed.